Thread: 888 vs CTR

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question 888 vs CTR

two of my mates, both bstards for affording them...

ones got an Astra 888, the other a Civic Type-R

I’ve been looking for figures on the 888, but info seems limited? anyone know any good threads? (I think the AS search engine ignores 3 figure searched doesn’t it, hence 888?)

we best not start a slanderous biased thread, but some comparative stats would be cool, anyone ?

cheers guys
    Ian

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking that the other day as a bloke who goes to my local gym has a civic type R
    we have both looked at each others cars and talked about them, but he will not put his against mine a race.....not even on a deserted track.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i dont now which one is better is better performace wise (would guess the 88 but in the looks detpartment the 888 gets my vote every time i think the new civic looks a bit lick a wedge of cheese!!

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    here you go

But it's basically (drivetrain wise) a turbo coupe in a fancy dress

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    888 wins on looks and overall performance - but then I am biased!

However, you need to spend thousands to get any serious power increases from the CTR as it's already tuned to within an inch of it's life - 888 on the other hand is easier and cheaper to tune.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers Ffoeg, thats good so far.

cant find a 0-60 or top speed tho, and that sites the same, i had heard 7.0 seconds?

i guess as i am on astra sport i would wanna see the astra win in a race, but the CTR wins on paper doesnt it ?

having been in both tho, i'd rather have the 888, its quiter and less harsh ride

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    CTR is quicker from standstill as standard as it is lighter and puts the power down much better. But once on the move (rolling) the Astra will pull away - because of greater torque.

CTR is a very addictive car - I test drove one and had i done so before i got my turbo -i would have defo bought one or had it on the shortlist. - Simply because if the rawness and driver involvement. Makes great noise especially the pre- MY04 models (will less NVH materials.) They are a license losing vehicle because they egg you on to go faster and faster. The astra is much more civilised - more like an assassin where the CTR is more back street brawler.

You find that most CTR driver won't race because they have to really drive the car to get the most out of it and really - thats alot of input - whereas the astra turbo is a much easier drive.

As has already been mentioned the Astra turbo are much responsive to tuning which is always a plus.

On normal road in everyday use the Astra will be the quicker car but @ the limit the CTR beasts it all day.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    T-Bone - are you comparing the CTR to your turbo? as the 888 has far superior handling than a standard coupe turbo (not that I'm calling your coupe standard - and not sure of your suspension set-up), but driving both regularly the 888 handles far, far better than my coupe turbo and would be closer to the handling of the CTR.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'm running koni fully adjustable set-up on my coupe - with a weischer sport strut brace.

So i would say that my coupe has easily comparable handling to a 888

but really - i'm talking from chassis setup and a design point of view. - Civic chassis is widely known to be superior to the MK4 chassis. That is fact.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good job he wont race me.......i will go to Courtenay now lol

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast