Thread: Improving Astra 1.6 16v Airflow

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Improving Astra 1.6 16v Airflow

Bearing in mind cost and effectiveness, is it worth fitting an induction kit to my 1.6 16v Ecotec engine (X16XEL) or am I better off just fitting a Pipercross air filter and de-restricting the airbox, in order to improve responsiveness a power.

It appears the filter is about £25 and the induction kit is about £65.

Also, I haven't got a clue about throttle bodies, but I have seen elsewhere on the site that cleaning it out can make the car run a bit smoother, can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got the 1.6 16v sxi

i went with de-restricting the air box and putting in a panel filter, ive noticed a difference but nothing major, not too sure about induction kit, heard it doesnt work too well with the ecotec

fitted a full stainless steel exhaust aswell, ive noticed a difference with this, feels more responsive

i clean my throttle body about once a month, im sure there was a guide flying about here on how to do it

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    De-restrict, panel filter and a Vectra C inlet pipe are a good omd induction wise - do a search it's been done to death already.

G's don't tend to like induction kits due to heat soak from the underbonnet temps - unless you can totally insulate the intake/filter from the engine.

Throttle body wise- just get a tin of carb cleaner from Halfarts and follow the instructions

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the advice.
    Just to confirm, I've seen elsewhere that it's the Vectra C 2.0 DTi pipe that is required. Is that correct and will it fit a Mk 3 Astra OK?

Also, do I have to remove the throttle body to clean it or can I get at it with a spray without having to remove anything.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think the vectra intake only fits the mk4 mate,not 100% sure tho!
    I had a K&N on my mk3 and have one on my mk4 and have never had any problems,your never going to get a massive increase in power from a mod like this on a 1.6 anyway,but it sounds great!
    The kit isnt really worth the 65 notes as you can get a filter for about £15-20 and you only really get piping and a small bracket extra!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So de-restricting the airbox does make a difference to the sound of the car? Would you say this was comparable to that of an induction kit or a bit more of a rumble?
    Cheers
    Matt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i had a derestricted airbox with a courtenays panel filter, noticed a small difference, then i changed it a k&n 57i, yes more money, but the roar from it is great! and the power increase is alot more noticable and looks well sweet under the bonnet.mines a mk3 with a x16xel in it, never had a problem with the induction kit and how th car runs so far, and got 107.2 bhp at courtenays last month. I got the 57i from online auto sport, i found it to be the best price and thier service and delivery is outstanding. hope this helps, Neve'o
    Vec-C SRi 150 with all the toys...