Thread: Pulling to the right

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Pulling to the right

My car is pulling to the right a bit and its getting annoying, had the preasures checked to see if my gauge was giving dodgey readings, they were all adjusted, tracking was done and is totally plum. They said it doesnt seam as out is bent.

What could it be guys, and were in the midlands is it best to take it to investigate it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When is it happening?
    =>If its just when accelerating hard, then it could be normal. It's because the nearside driveshaft is shorter than the offside - so when u floor it, the shorter driveshaft has less weight to accelerate, so provides less resistance to the differential than the offside. So the near side accelerates faster and the car pulls to the right.

=> If its happening all the time, and uv checked the tyre pressurse, then it could be the tracking... But u say u've had that checked, so Im at a bit of a loss.

Anyone else help out?
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    should b the tracking, go to ur local tyre shop nd they wil sort it

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd still say tracking as it's pulling to the right, ie up the camber of the road.

Is the steering wheel dead straight??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would be tempted to take it to a differant garage to get the tracking checked again as the equipment could be off. Also, i'd give the wheels a touch with the back of your hand after a good drive to see if one or both are unusually warm/hot as you could have a sticking brake calliper which is causing the car to pull to the right!

If you've obtained a second opinion on the tracking, balancing and have confirmed that the brakes aren't sticking then you should start to look at other things like worn bushes, linkages or dare I say it... Steering racks

Mick

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well I carnt do a lot at the moment as my tyre has come of the rim yesterday. so got to find a tyre today, I will get it tracked again as I took back to the guy to check it again and said it was down to the tyre preasures.
    Thing is trying to get someone to do the tracking again is a night mare as no one will touch the car.
    Thanks for your thoughts, any more will be great

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why won't they touch the car? I know the Mk3 track Rod ends could be funny but with a little heat they soon come off but I didn't think a Mk4 was any trouble.

Another couple of silly suggestions but you nevere know - Was the tyre fitted to the rim correctly (Directional tyres do the strangest things when fitted to the rim incorrectly or fitted to the wrong side of the vehicle) and was the wheel torqued up correctly? Aqain, sorry to ask boss but you never know!

Mick

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    They wont touch it due to how low it is and the lazer tracking gear wont clear the fron spoiler.

To be honest mate to many people dont like touching it as its down to getting it on the ramps.

There will be teo brand new matching tyres on the front.
    I as I said up on the ramp there seem to be nothing visabily bent. The shocks could do with replacing but thats really the only thing that does need replacing.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have the same problem and it started when this b.... nearly hit me so i managed to avoid her but hit the curb instead.i had the tyres balanced but never got the tracking done cos normaly the bushes go after the tracking is done.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK4ASTRASPORT
    bushes go after the tracking is done.
    Where did you hear this gem???

Raming the kerb with the car is more likely to upset the bushes than undertaking correct and routine maintenance.

Correct tracking alignment keeps the steering geometry correct, which in turn means less wear of steernig and suspension components, less wear on tyres and will actually save fuel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast