Thread: dvd recorders

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

dvd recorders

Stupid question but since im getting a lcd television, and thinking about buying a dvd recorder, i just have one question is a dvd-recorder a dvd player as well or do i have to purchase a new dvd as my old one is pretty much knackered?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a recorder is normally a player too

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I believe they will all play as well as record. I have been looking at these too and the most important thing is if they are just DVD-R or if they have an in-built Hard Disk Drive Recorder (HDD)-R - , the latter with more GigaBytes being better.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the one im looking at supports dvd-r/dvd-rw and dvdram (which is like a a video, eraseable). The hard drive ones are just to expensive

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also what type of dvd-r or dvd+r discs does it use as most pc compatible recorders are 16x+. What speed do these things record at

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You cant use dvd+r discs in a dvd-r recorder/player. I have a JVC DMR-10 dvd recorder which is also dvd-r/-rw and -ram with time slip and ive been very happy with it. I use Panasonic -Ram discs and they have also been very good, if your recorder has timeslip then this will only work with Ram discs. You can buy -R discs (any make really as they are record once and throw away) or -Rw which are re-record but more expensive and u cant use the time slip function.
    Also worth noting, if you want to record on a disc and then watch on another player in a different room, you need to make sure that the player supports the format you are recording in i.e. -r/-rw-ram

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive got a DVD recorder, its alright, plays normal dvds too...there quite clever things really

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    okay cheers scotty, but what speed of dvd+r (for example if i purchase a dvd+r recorder) do i need as the ones i have for my computer are dvd+r 4x speed, would these work or do i need faster ones? also i presume any thing i copy off the telly *coughs* i can make a backup of it via my pc and give a copy of it to my dad when he goes away to work??

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My old man and brother in law both have panasonic DVD recorders. cracking machines, trouble is it only records on one format dvd-r I think, bar that great.
    I will have to get me one but they need to be a little smaller as it wont fit in my tv unit.