Thread: 1.8 16v (engine managment light)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 16v (engine managment light)

Hi People - got a 1.8 16v V-Reg Astra CD - and the engine management light came on yest...

It stayed on for quite a while - then when my mate turned the heating right up, air con on, and the heated rear window - it went out...

Also - its just had a service, but the INSP is still displayed...

And finally - it keeps cutting out when I try and pull away...

Any help ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsa Bandit
    Also - its just had a service, but the INSP is still displayed...
    My dash is showing INSP nothing to worry about mate, it should go away
    after a week/300 miles... Mines due it's next service in May 05 but asking
    for it already, what a cheek!
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a way of getting rid of the "INSP"... Put the key in the ignition but leave it in the Neutral position. Then, Press and hold the mileage/trip reset button. (You will see 10000/INSP appear on the display) At this point, turn the ignition key to the energised position. some people hear a beep, some see the 10000 falsh and others see INSP Flash. Either way, you should no longer see the INSP warning for another 10,000 miles... ie, until the next service is due The "INSP" However will not go away unless the procedure to reset the service clock is followed.

As for the EM warning light. The only way to say for sure what is going off is to get the car to Vauxhall or a trust worthy Auto Electrician, both with access to a Tech2 system which will be used to interogate the numerous sensors and the ECU for fault codes. I have heard of things like low oil levels setting off EM light and registering Knock Sensor faults but if the car has just been serviced (*COUGH* Correctly) by a main dealer technician then this shouldn't be a problem.

Mick

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BINGO...

Hold down mileage reset button whilst turning key into 3rd position (ignition lights on/engine off)

Should flash ---- and reset.
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Funny you should mention OIL Levels and Services !!!!

It had its last service 2,500 miles ago - and I only bought the car on Monday - Tuesday I went for a drive and smelt a really horrible stench - so checked the oil and the water and the oil didn't even reach the end of the dip-stick !!!! :shock:

It took 2.5 litres to get it on the dippy...

And when I checked the service slip - they had wrote that they did a full oil change - think they must have forgot to put the oil back in !!!!

So you think coz it had a low oil level - this is why the light comes on ??

Even though its now got oil in it ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsa Bandit
    So you think coz it had a low oil level - this is why the light comes on ??

Even though its now got oil in it ?
    It is possible that the low oil level has caused say the knock sensor to register a fault code which is still resident in the ECU. Only a Tech2 can clear these codes so in theory the answer to your question is yes however some codes should automatically clear themselves which causes the EM light to flash on and off as each new instance is flagged and then deleted! I had this happen on my '00 SXi but it did turn out to be the Knock sensor and Cam Position Sensors which failed.

On another note... does anyone else find it strange that from the very bottom of the dipstick to the max fill level mark is only 1 litre yet the car hold close on 5 litres?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tHANKS - AND YEAH ITS REALLY WEIRD - PLUS THE DIP-STICK DESIGN IS STUPID - MUCH PREFER THE OTHER ONES FROM CORSA E.T.C.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MicKPM
    On another note... does anyone else find it strange that from the very bottom of the dipstick to the max fill level mark is only 1 litre yet the car hold close on 5 litres?
    It's like your water temp gauge, is show 70 deg c to 110 deg c, but of course the water can be colder than 70 deg c, but you don't need to know that!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    K3FUS, yes I kind of agree with the temp gauge example as you shouldn't need to know about coolant temperatures unless you're operating your vehicle in extreme temperatures but that's another argument. So you're saying that you don't need to know if your car only has say, 2.5litres in it when it should hold 5? I'm not having a go at you specifically but that's a piss poor excuse boss. Why is it that every other car manufacturers dip-stick levels accurately communicate the overall oil level within the unit rather than showing you a mere 20% of the level? By this I mean that when the stick level shows "MIN" or "MAX" the unit is filled within it's actual operating levels rather than the (What I can only describe as)the stupid way GM do it because if you don't read or don't have the owner manual for your car (or know which engine you have and it's capacity's), say you unknowingly check your dipstick and see it's dry. Your first thought would... no, *SHOULD* be "FUUUUCCCCCCK, best slam a couple of litres in there" and check the level but by then it's too late... Potentially Over filled!

Actually I guess it's not stupid, more like sneaky... I'm seeing the way that GM work and they're cunning. They seem to have slight flaws which were possibly oversights or intentionally implemented in to their designs which mean more cash for them in the long run. Examples: Low Oil warnings that don't actually warn you... Power Sounders with battery's that can't be replaced without replacing the actual unit, Sensors built in to Hubs that can't be replaced without replacing the entire hub and I can go on listing these *COUGH* over sights for a good half a page of A4.

Mick