Thread: Help: uneven brake wear

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help: uneven brake wear

Just got my car back from the first year's service. My brake lining has been recorded as:
    • o/s/f: 15
    • n/s/f: 5
    • n/s/r: 10
    • o/s/r: 10
    Why is there such a huge difference between both front brakes?

Also, my front tyres are at 4mm tread and the rears is at 6.8mm. However, they have reported that "wearing on inner edge". I should have asked them to explain but I didn't really look at the report until I got home.

I've also noticed that they've added 3 miles on the clock. Do they normally cover such distances for the road test? Or have they irresponsibly just thrashed my Coupe Turbo?

I also explicitly asked for Fully Synth oil. They have charged me an extra £20.90 + VAT for this. The description in the report says "Oil 5W40 5 litre" with a product code of V0009121987. Is this a fully synth oil part number and the correct price?

Thanks for the help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    front tyres do wear quicker than the rear because they have the power goin through them. Have you had your tracking done? that can cause wearing on the edges, not sure if its inner or outer edge tho. Not sure about the brakes, should be wearing evenly. Maybe one's coming on just before the other or maybe 1's dragging more? if you're tracking's fine on a straight road let go of the steering wheel.. if one brake's dragging more it'll pull to one side, also try braking without havin ur hands on the steering wheel.... if it pulls to one side then you'll need to go to a garage

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_1.816v
    front tyres do wear quicker than the rear because they have the power goin through them. Have you had your tracking done? that can cause wearing on the edges, not sure if its inner or outer edge tho. Not sure about the brakes, should be wearing evenly. Maybe one's coming on just before the other or maybe 1's dragging more? if you're tracking's fine on a straight road let go of the steering wheel.. if one brake's dragging more it'll pull to one side, also try braking without havin ur hands on the steering wheel.... if it pulls to one side then you'll need to go to a garage
    I would have thought this would have been all set on a brand new car. I've had it since brand new and its now been a year. I've not modified anything like the suspension or the wheels so how can the tracking be out? Is this something that naturally slips out of place?

Anyone got any opinions on the 3 mile test drive during the servicing?

TIA

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ye tracking's something that just goes out over time, wen u hit potholes or bumps in the road etc.
    not sure on the 3 mile test drive, for a standard service I wouldnt ave thought it necessary? :S

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A 3 mile test run also sounds a touch much to me but it all depends on what they found. The 3 miles could be a total of say 4 test drives to see if they've cured a problem... or it could have been the new *COUGH* 17 year old technician being sent out on a Bacon Butty run for the lads.

Tyre wear can be attributed to a number of varying factors such as Tyre pressure, Braking, Road surace, Suspension components, Steering Alignment/Tracking, Driving style etc... You really need to take responsibility and make a note to check these things yourself and take it to a garage to get corrective work carried out if required.

I'm assuming that ALL brake pads have been changed in pairs (It sounds really stupid I know but there are some *REALLY* stupid people out there who think it's big and clever to change individual pads rather than pairs). Of course ALL brakes wear unevenly on any given road wheel because out of the two pads on each wheel one is a "Floater" which means it holds the dics in position whilst the second pad... the "Pressure" pad applys the braking force and in turn wears much faster than the "Floater". Of course this doesn't sound like what you're getting at and so If your brakes are wearing unevenly then the problem is either:

Sticking calliper(s)
    *or*
    Sticking brake pads

Both are usually brought about by accumilation of brake dust, road salt and/or poor maintenance/servicing, which means that either the piston within the calliper isn't returning fully to it's "idle" position (badly installed or tarnished seals are a common failure) or the piston returns fine but the pad does not follow (due to the blockage of the seats with clotted dust or road salt) which means the pad remains in contact with the disc and so wears it away. The easy way to check for this is to feel the braking wheel in question at the end of a journey with the back of your hand. If the wheel is cold to luke warm then don't panick as theyr'e bound to pick up a little heat from the kinetic energy of the drive/normal braking but If the wheel seems unusually warm or hot to the touch then you've got a problem as detailed above. Usually this is cured by striping down the offending calliper, giving it a darn good thrashing with a wire brush and a liberal coating with copper grease (Obviously avoid copper grease application to the braking/contact surfaces as unwanted result will occur )

Mick

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got really worried about this so had it checked again at Vauxhall dealer. Apparently the guy had mistakenly written 5 when he meant 15. So in actual fact I got 15mm on both front brakes. Phewwwwww