Thread: amping front doors

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

amping front doors

hey everyone, to amp the front doors, running the cable from the amps in the boot, i presume i should run it up the side of the car, along the side opposite to the power cable?

ayways, once its up at the front of the car, how has everyone run it through to the door have they unclipped the plastic connector and run it inside there, ot have they placed it on the outside and run it into the door via the grommet?

jus interested as my ICE guy said u shudnt really unclip the electrical connectors to the doors as it could cause problems.

how has everyone else amped up front components?

cheers

ps, ive got some lanzar cadmium 6.5" and for the money they were a bargain! (paid jus under 150 for em las year) and havent had any prbs, jus underperformaing a lot as they are 180 RMS and 360 peak ) and are running off a sony xplod cdx-mp40 (50w per channel)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    run the signal (speaker) wire along the opposite side of the power cables. i took my doors off, drilled a hole in the door just under the connector and put a grommet in, then fed the cables through the grommet already in the car and out of a slit in the bottom of the wiring tube and through my drilled and grommetted hole.
    i dont know what ure mate is talking about regarding unclipping the connectors :? a connector is used so that you can connect and disconnect as needed, otherwise they wouldve hard wired it in. just make sure you disconnect ure battery for a few mins before doing any work incase u set off any airbags
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPiper
    run the signal (speaker) wire along the opposite side of the power cables. i took my doors off, drilled a hole in the door just under the connector and put a grommet in, then fed the cables through the grommet already in the car and out of a slit in the bottom of the wiring tube and through my drilled and grommetted hole.
    i dont know what ure mate is talking about regarding unclipping the connectors :? a connector is used so that you can connect and disconnect as needed, otherwise they wouldve hard wired it in. just make sure you disconnect ure battery for a few mins before doing any work incase u set off any airbags
    I'll seccond that - I did exactly the same.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm running the speakers amped on mine but have got them connected from behind the Head Unit... Much easier and can't say that it sounds bad.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how are they amped but connected from behind the H/U? am confused
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it possible to amp the fronts without removing the doors? or is it abit of a tight squeeze?
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Amping using std wires: You can cut into the wires that run from behind the headunit. The manual will tell you which wires from the headunit would be front left and right, positive and negative. (4 wires total). Cut them and wire them to the amp rather than the headunit. This is a good option as it's less fidly in terms of the doors, but you still have to form joints of solder the wires from the amp outputs onto the wires behind the HU. Most ppl choose not to do this however, because the std wire isnt the best quality, and isnt neccesarily up to handling the higher power of the amp. Also, the more joints you have in the wire from amp to speaker, the more noise may be introduced.

Removing Doors: Actually, when I did mine, I didnt hav to remove the doors. There's a bit hex headed bolt that holders the door. Its like a retainer bar that stops the door from opening too far. If u undo that, then u bar is no longer connected to the chassis, so u can open the door further than usual. BE VERY CAREFUL, cos if u open it too far, then it will hit the wing and u will bend it. However, if u get a mate to hold it carefully, then theres enuff space to get a drill in to drill a hole in the door just above or below the plug. Then u can run the wire from the footwell, thru the std rubber gromet, then cut a slit in the BOTTOM of the rubber tube (so less water will run in). Then thru the new hole u hav cut in the door. Make sure u put a grommet in the hole u have drilled, else the sharp edge will end up cutting ur speaker wire, short circuit, then fire. Also, u might want to use some silicon to seal up the gap between ur new grommet and the wire running thru it, just to water proof it. jobsagudden.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good answer B.A.D...