Thread: Alloys buckled

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Alloys buckled

Went to the Courteney RR last Saturday. When the car went on the RR I was told the front right wheel was buckled but that it might be that the wheel was on the hub slightly screw wiff. Just been to the tyre centre near me and the wheels definetely buckled. Now theres no damage showing at all to the rim, no flat spot, no gouge, nothing, the tyre no longer sits straight and is also eccentric, bummer. The front left seemed to have a slow puncture so I thought I'd have that fixed as well. Turns out this was also buckled and the rim has come away from the tyre wall enough for it to let air out. Double bummer. This one shows no damage either. By now I was getting paranoid and had the rears checked as well, both of these also showed a slight buckle, quad bummer but still within limits as the tyres are still straight and buckle is barely noticeable. Now I've not hit anything, no kerbs, no potholes, nothing that I can recollect as bad enough to buckle all 4 wheels so why have these alloys buckled. They are Mille Miglia HT3s and they are supposed to be a quality alloy. I've got a price of £320 to replace both the fronts from Demon Tweeks. I've also explored the possibility of having them straightened but have been told that this can weaken them and theres no guarantee that they won't go again.

Nobody else has driven the car except maybe Vauxhall when it went for a service a few weeks ago but I'd asked them not to roadtest the car but whether they did or not I can't say. I couldn't go back to them anyway as my invoice says very clearly that it wasn't to be roadtested and if I went to them and accused them of the damage they would just say that they didn't roadtest it and I couldn't prove they did. I reckon they must have done as the car is quite modded and mechanics being mechanics they would have been very tempted to have taken it out and thrashed it just to see what it could do.

Anyone know where I can get a 5 stud ET40 7Jx18H2 Mille Miglia HT3 rim from that's cheaper than Demon Tweeks? I may have to bite the bullet and replace both the fronts. I'm putting my old 15" OE alloys on tomorrow before the 18" tyres get wrecked driving around out of true.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think its just one of those things to be honest, just unlucky maybe? 18's + do tend to get buckled due to the small wall of tyre protecting them.

Sorry to hear its going to cost you though Have you had a price to get them straightened yet? May well be worth finding out? May also be worth talking to Mille miglia about it and see if they other you replacements at trade price???? or even better under warrenty? I doubt they will but surely worth a phone call.

Let us know how you get on with it.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine cost £50 per rim to have straightened, de-scuffed and repainted (ie full refurb). It's gotta be worth investigating if that's the going rate.

Plus the guy who did them said as long as it's done right, it won't weaken them, but he wann't the trade. Conversely those that say it will weaken the rim usually want to sell you new ones.

Besides, I've hit some badish bumps and holes since then and they're still running true - so I'll go with the refurb man's opinion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys for the input. I suppose I should look on the plus side, the tyres are perfect, no sidewall damage at all. So it could be much worse I suppose. I think what I'll end up doing is to replace the front wheels with new ones and have the 2 old fronts straightened and use them as spares. I was going to buy another rim anyway as I only have 4 and wanted a spare for a long time. Only thing that's causing me concern now is why they buckled, don't want to buy another 2 rims only for them to buckle as soon as they see a slight ripple in the tarmac. Maybe after the 2 fronts are refurbed I'll get the 2 rears done as well. Funny thing is that one of the rears has absolutely no marks on at all, no kerbing marks, nothing and it's still slightly buckled. I really wish I could pin point where they were buckled as I could then decide whether the rims are soft or that any rim would have buckled under that amount of force but I honestly can't think of any time in the past where it could have happened.

Any recommendations of cheaper places than Demon Tweeks for these alloys?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    try POTN they maybe cheaper I would also seriously try and contect mille miglia direct its the least they could do

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mille Miglia (UK) Ltd
    Cavalier Road, Heathfield
    Devon TQ12 6TQTel: 01626 832222
    Fax: 01626 834567
    info@millemiglia.co.uk

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had a look at a few sites, (friday night with noat to do ) and they all seem around the same price +/- a few quid. At least with Demon Tweaks you're gonna get bloody good/reliable service

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've sent an e-mail to Mille Miglia explaining the circumstances etc and asking whether they would be willing to help out. Will just have to see if they reply. Have found the rims at £145.11 each from EliteDirect.com which is a slight saving. I've also asked Mille Miglia if they will supply at trade price or even give me some freebies

Wheres POTN Mat?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good man - always worth a try, hope it pays some dividends

POTN

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    maybe you have not been running enough pressure and u have bent them.
    when i got my 19's i was told to run at laest 36psi because i was running 30-32 in my 18's and 2 got bent.

u should find a big pot hole, and take pictures of it and claim off the council for 2 new wheels!! our roads are CRAP and should be made better!

everytime i fuel up i check my tyre pressure's and now its colder the pressure drops slightly, like they are now 32, so need more air again.

i've bought a tyre pressure gauge from Costco, accutre digital read out for £8 bargain, its great so now i can check when ever.
    when u spend £1k on wheels and tyres u should look after and understand them!
    Astra '01 1.8 SXI - 19's, Koni's, Irmscher everything! *SOLD*
    BMW '04 325 Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast