Thread: My car's playing up badly :( Cutting out etc etc...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation My car's playing up badly :( Cutting out etc etc...

About 6 months ago my car's revs started playing up a bit. If I came to an abrupt stop or turned the air con off if it was on, the revs would drop to about 450rpm, then bounce back up to 1500rpm several times before idling normally.

Since the cold weather recently, it's started to happen everytime I stop and it is sometimes dropping lower than 450rpm and just dying on me. It's doing the exact same when say I coast during driving and I have to jump the clutch whilst it's moving to restart the car.

Also, i've noticed there's a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust lately when the engine is cold. I did over-fill the oil as I wasn't concentrating but it's been fine and the smoke isn't blue... just a white colour.

Another thing is I can go out in the car and it'll be fine. It won't bounce the revs. Then I turn it off. If I need to use the car again though within a short space of time, the car won't start first time without me turning the key for a while and during driving the revs will start bouncing again.

This suggests to me it's an engine management problem?

I've heard of plenty of fixes for these symptoms and don't know which to try. When it comes to cars i'm hopeless so cleaning the throttle body is out of my league. I spoke to Vauxhall about the EGR valve and they hadn't heard of a recall on my car and I thought it might be that at one point?

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay by the way
    :: Computer repairs, Upgrades and Sales in the Greater Manchester Area ::

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morning!

My SXi did something very similar and it turned out to be the throttle body which needed cleaning. Some people may say it's the ICV and they could also be right but I always say start at the cheap bits first and work your way through the list. Vauxhall will carry out this service for about £70+ but any decent garage should be able to carry this work out safely and I remember paying a local spanner man £35 to fix mine the first time.

To be honest it's a fairly easy service to carry out yourself and i'm sure there is a Technical "How to" guide kicking about but if you're not sure about doing it yourself I would say take it to a garage to be on the safe side. As for the smoke issue... what colour is it - White, Blue? If it's blue or a blue/grey then it'll be oil. If it's white then it's water vapour so check your coolant level to make sure it's all there and to rule out a head gasket failure. I'm betting it's nothing more than water in your exhaust system and at this time of year your car will produce more white smoke than ever as it's colder outside!

Mick

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's helped a lot Mick

Will track down a local garage and see what they say. I spoke to my Vauxhall main dealers and they seemed to know nothing... hence the reason it only ever gets serviced there.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Car's fixed.

Took it to a great garage in oldham. They cleaned the TB out and that seemed to solve the problem. Then, after test driving it they said it was jerky and the mobile computer they used said it was the EGR valve.

Got that replaced under warranty and the car's running smooth and better than ever

Revs are perfect.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent, I had this issue. hopefully this will help just told my local mechanic to clean the TB!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I got that advice from here so I hope it works for you also