Thread: im gutted

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy im gutted

my steering wheel has been shaking for a little while so i took it to elite to have what i thought was wrong (tracking/balancing) only when i got it there they put it up on the ramps and showed me the problem, all 4 wheels are buckled and bent on the inside of the wheels im not sure what has caused it as im usaully careful going over bumps and stuff but the guy said it could be cos my tyres are a low profile it could have been a pot hole or any biggish bump in the road, im not sure if i can afford a set for a while now as i have just ordered my kit and was gonna have my exhaust system made up within the next week or so

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Sorry to here that Gazza. Thats the problem with large alloys. I have suffered this myself, but only to one wheel.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats what made me wonder how i could have done it, if it was only one wheel then fair enough it wouldn't be too bad but all 4

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I reckon its that bloody speed bump at work, bloody thing is bigger than my car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gazza if i were you id take it for a second opinion, i got told the same, turned out that the company couldnt track my car properly so they blammed it on the wheels
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds a bit suspect to me m8... I'd defo get a second opinion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markja
    gazza if i were you id take it for a second opinion, i got told the same, turned out that the company couldnt track my car properly so they blammed it on the wheels
    But in thios case it could be true, as they took the car up in the air and showed him.

I assume you saw the buckled areas Gazza??

Are they cheapish wheels mate, they don't all use aluminium alloys that are up to it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get them taken off and checked on a wheel balancer for being buckled.....or try getting them balanced, you can sometimes balance out a buckle depending on how bad it is.....beleive it or not....when I had my Vectra SRi, I bought a set of 17" Irmscher Twin Spokes, form the moment they went on the car they were never right......took them off on the balancer every wheel was buckled....they reckon they were just a bad batch of wheels.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i had a look at the wheels when the car was up on the ramps and they showed me where they had buckled, the front wheels are worse than the back, i guess the front takesa bit more impact then the rear

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ello son, I tell you what has done it, those bloody speed blisters you get in the road.
    The problem with those are you generally go over the top thinking you are missing them, what you are actually doing is putting all the weight of the car on the insides of the tyres and the alloys onto the camber of the blister. The front gets it worse because of the weight of the engine.
    The reason the damage can be so bad is because nobody bothers slowing for them as you don't get much lift as you go over them (because the tyre deforms to take the movement).

Speed blisters, one wheel over the top, one in between and slow down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast