Thread: Lightly modded mk2 or mk3 astra?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightly modded mk2 or mk3 astra?

Contemplating whether to keep my Mk3 and go ahead with lowering it, adding 16's, exhaust/filter come jan when my insurance is for renewal and i'd be able to get a decent quote with mods allowed, or....

Get a mk2 1.6 carb, and do similar to above and anything else that would improve it, but not really expensive stuff (at the moment, anyway )

Which do you think would be the most fun to drive/own? I'm after the one that looks good, with subtle mods, is fairly quick for size of engine and is the best to drive, but more importantly is easy to maintain as i want to be able to do most maintenance/upgrades myself, over time, so I'm looking at it more as a project with me learning as i go along.

Pls don't say get a gte/gsi, I'm 19 and insurance is a no no on anything above my current grp 10 mk3, sadly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH I would say go for the MK3, MK2's are getting a bit old now, the newest is 12 years old....so finding a decent one maybe hard....MK3's look better and are more solidly built plus mroe chance of finding a decent one.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Dave speaks sense there, keep the MK3 I just wish I had

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the Mk3 is the thinking mans choice and probably the best value, etc. but i'd love to have a GTE 16v, it's old, most have rust and it's difficult to find a mint one but i've been toying with the idea of getting one while i wait for my coupe to appear, i fell in love with that car years ago and have always said that i'll get one, my heart says yeah but my brain says no!!! brain is right this time though i'd only end up spending all my money on it and have nothing left for my coupe!
    sorry to waffle on, it isn't really answering your original question
    Ally wings, less " The Fast and the Furious" more "The Gay and the Gaudy"

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nooooo brain is very, very wrong