Thread: Handbrake query (previous lost post)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Handbrake query (previous lost post)

I recently had the MOT done and they said the handbrake was too loose, so it was tightened. A couple of days after the car started to creak when you got in and the handbrake had loosened to the top again, then the wife went to get the nipper out the back and the car started to roll.....

I took it back to the garage and he said it might be the rear pads, as the newer cars don't have the handbrake as a seperate setup.
    The car went in yesterday and he said he had taken the pads and drums off and greased them, if it happens again you will need new calipers....at the moment all is ok....

My question is...what is the setup on a 4 stud Astra G, is he right in what he is saying....?
    Could there be any other reasons....?
    Anybody got any other ideas....?

Thanks....

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure on the setup for newer astras.

Sounds like just getting things free'd off helped.
    He'll advise on needing new calipers if they continue to seize or don;t move freely enough for handbrake and brake to work properly.

I would have thought the handbrake cable may have stretched if it loosened off the brakes.

anyone else ??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M40COO
    He'll advise on needing new calipers if they continue to seize
    This was also mentioned by him.......

Thanks anyway Coo...all seems fine at the moment, and like you said...maybe free'ing them up helped.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Must admit to being a little confused here Milesy. Youi say he took the pads and drums off? but you can't have both. Either it's a drum version Astra and thus has brake shoes or it's a disc version and has pads. I suspect it's the disc version as you mention calipers. There are 2 types of calipers fitted to the Astra, the older one is a Bosch caliper I seem to remember with the later one being a Lucas. The older calipers have a problem with the handbrake mechanism if I remember right and depending on the age and the service history of the car it's possible to have them replaced under warranty. However I could be wrong and if I am and it turns out you require new calipers in the future I'd certainly advise that you replace the calipers with the newer Lucas ones as these seem to be a much better setup. You'll need to replace the caliper hangers as well but it's worth it in the long run.

Personally I'd replace the handbrake cable if it happens again as it sounds like it's stretching too much, cheaper option than replacing the calipers and it may just solve the problem. Handbrake mechanism is not replaceable on the calipers so you'll need to change them if it's gone.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Warranty has run out now mate so its probably the Bosch thats on there....( W reg )

Thanks for the info Oddjob..
    There are two great teams in Liverpool.....Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves..........

Bill Shankley

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oddjob the astra has what is called inboard shoes on rear disc versions, it has disc/pads for footbraking.

The heandbrake is still done by shoes, these are on the inside of the disc, the caliper and discs need to be removed to check the shoes.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A small thing to note, has the h/brake cable got the locknut on? it could be that the nut on the h/brake is for some reason coming loose, usual but worth a check.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrj
    A small thing to note, has the h/brake cable got the locknut on? it could be that the nut on the h/brake is for some reason coming loose, usual but worth a check.
    Checked that this morning..all seems fine, but i am starting to think that this was what he did when he took it in last monday, it still seems ok at the moment.
    There are two great teams in Liverpool.....Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves..........

Bill Shankley

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Am getting a similar issue with this as well, i have an sxi 1.6 02 plate with drums on the back and the handbreak is a little loose, do i just need to tighten it or is it something else, if so whats the best way to diy??