Thread: Front strut question

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Front strut question

I'm going to replace the front struts this weekend but I've got a question I need an answer on. I've heard that some struts require a air rachet to loosen the top nut on the damper rod. This is whats stopping me fitting them, I don't want to partially dismantle the front end only to be stopped because I can't get a damned nut loose. My understanding of the strut is that the spring is held in place by a dish welded onto the strut leg with the top of the spring locating on the underside of the inner wing. The damper rod passes through the inner wing and through a large rubber and metal doughnut with a nut screwed down onto it. Is this correct or is there another nut below the doughnut and possibly another spring collar or is the nut the rachet may be required for the one which sits in the engine bay? if so no problem as I've already removed that nut once to fit the strut brace. I can't seem to get my head around the correct sequence of parts on the strut, is it strut-spring-doughnut-nut or strut-spring-collar-nut-doughnut-nut in which case you should be able to remove the strut with the spring still attached.

Maybe I haven't explained that to well but any mechanics should be able to explain what the correct part sequence is.

Hope someone can clear up my confusion. I've got all the required tools ie spring compressors etc but no access to an air rachet.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't remember the exact set up of the front strut, but when I changed my springs some time ago, I did it all with normal hand tools, with no difficulties. Probably the reason I can't remember is because it was so straight forward to do :roll:

I know that MK3's have the strut insert that's held in by a nut/cap torqued to 200Nm - but there is nothing like this on a MK4 as it's a different design.

Hope it helps

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Front strut question

Thanks for the reply mate, nice to know it sounds easier than it initialy looks. I'd really like to know for definite though exactly how the strut is fixed to the body. I've seen the MK3 front strut and that's an insert where the MK4 is a completely different design.

If no one can say for certain I'll just have to take a chance and strip it.

Hows the rear lights by the way Ffoeg? no problems I hope. Nice to hear from you again.

Oh and just had a nice little race with a 2.0 Toyota Carina GLi. Didn't start off as a race but he was in front of me at the lights after just passing me and he went off like a scalded cat, mmm race I thought so I accelerated hard behind him. I couldn't catch him till we hit a 100 on the motorway and then I started to haul him in. Certainly surprised me how quick the Toyota was, didn't really expect it. Next time I'm gonna eat him
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK according to Haynes (which I followed when I srtipped mine out) - at the top there a plastic cover cap - remove this and undo the nut which hols the strut onto the wing, through the circular cover/mount plate.

The strut will then come out complete (assuming the two bottom mounting bolts etc are removed).

Then there's another nut that hold the top swivel, spring et al to the shocker - this is where you'll need the spring compressors before undoing it. Nothing in the text mentions a air rachet - it would be difficult anyway as you need to counter hold the piston rod (via the hexagonal top) while you're undoing the nuts.

Looking at the torque wrench settings, there's nothing that is that tight to warrant air tools

Strut upper mounting = 55Nm

The lights are lovely as well