Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Sounder - Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Power Sounder - Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep!!!

I had a rather interesting weekend recently just gone. I had just finished washing, drying and treating the Astra to a full service with the Meguires NXT on Sunday and thought i'd take a shower as i was a little dirty. I'd just got in when I heard my alarm going off and so thinking some thiefing scroat was about to make off with my S Club 7's greatest hits CD I ran out to investigate wearing only some soaking wet boxers. To my suprise the car was intact so I reset it and went back in the house to finish my shower! That's right... 2 minutes later... "Whaaaaa Whaaaaa Whaaaaaa, Whaaaaaa"

What a day for the Power Sounder battery to actually die on me! I eventually located the unit and ripped it out. Because this refused to shut it up it swiftly found it's way in to a bucket of water... this seemed to do the trick nicely I went to Vauxhall on Monday and handed over the small fee of £51.70 for a new one only to then be told that they would have to charge me £25 to code the sounder to my system. Now I know that some things need to be coded to the car but why would an alarm sounder NEED coding to the car? I told him where to stick his Tech2 coding and proceeded to dit the new sounder myself and guess what?

... Nothing happend other than a single BEEP. I locked the car leaving only the sunroof open and allowed the alarm to set itself as normal before attempting to set the alarm off by reaching into the cabin via the open roof. This triggered the alarm and power sounder!

OK Mick, why are you drawing this out?

Well I just wanted to know WHY Vauxhall insisted that I needed to have the sounder coded to the car when this blatently wasn't the case and has anyone had a similar problem with the sounder where they HAD to have it coded?

Thanks for bearing with me on this and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Power Sounder - Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep!!!

The reason they say it needs coded is beacuse they are robbing cowboys basically, and your average joe will just pay it.

Lucky for me i know the service manager at my Vauxhall garage cos they only charged me £50 ish all in to replace the powersounder.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You see that's what I thought to myself at the time. I don't begrudge paying Vauxhall to do certain service tasks (Cam belts, that's about it) but it drains me and destroys my faith in main dealers when they try to bullshit you out of £25 + VAT. I'm not an electrical genious when it comes to cars but i'm not as stupid as i look either and I just couldn't see any reason for the sounder needing to be coded? It is, afterall only a backup in the event of the battery being disconnected with a built in circuit for monitoring voltage drop (Which I guess is hard wired in to the PS itself). I'm tempted to call Vauxhall Customer Services up and ask them why there dealers try to con people

Obviously, I'm not going to post the location of the powersounder just in case some thieving scroat is reading but it wasn't the hardest thing to locate... Getting to it without the ignition being on or the car up in the air could make it difficult for them though

Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

Interesting observation. Now to push it a bit further. Bateries have a certain shelf life. How can someone tell the manufacture date of the powersounder.

Cheers,
    Kakourdos
    Unts! Unts! Unts!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I BELIEVE... (I'm not 100% sure but) if you look on the casting you should see a dial with numbers on it like a clock face. It should also have an arrow pointing to a specific number... this will indicate the month it was made and somewhere else it will have a year stamp in a similar arrangement. I've saved my old one as i'm planning to dismantle it to see just why it would need coding so i'll dig it out later tonight and have a look for you.

Yes, all battery's do have a shelf life but I believe that the units battery is a Lithium Ion rechargeable and draws a slight current when the car is running to replenish itself. When the battery is no longer holding it's charge efficiently i guess it's internal voltage drop sensor detects this and gives the all too common "Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep" when you turn of the ignition to say "Hey, it's time to get ripped off by GM again"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE for you Kakourdos:

The power sounder should have a time and date of production marked on it. If you look above and slighty to the left of when the multi plug connects (You might have to clean it off with a damp cloth if it was anything like my old one) you will see a series of numbers:

XX:XX, XX/XX/XX = Time, Date

Mine showed 22:09, 28/02/00 so if mine lasted until 24/10/04 then an active shelf life of about four and a half years isn't too bad is it?

Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Power Sounder - Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep!!!

Hello again,

I've found this:

"Li-ion batteries are not as durable as NiMH and NiCd designs, although they do not suffer from the memory effect. At a typical 100% charge level (notebook battery, full most of the time) at 25 degrees Celsius, Li-ion batteries irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year from the time they are manufactured, even when unused. (6% at 0 degrees, 20% at 25 degrees, 35% at 40 degrees Celsius. When stored at 40% charge level, these figures are reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively.) Every (deep) discharge cycle decreases their capacity. The degradation is sloped such that 100 cycles leave the battery with about 75% to 85% of the original. When used in notebook computers or cellular phones, this rate of deterioration means that after two to three years the battery will have capacities too low to be still usable."

(in here: http://www.all-science-fair-projects...um_ion_battery)

I guess it's long enough... shame it wasn't designed to just change the battery.

MicKPM: have you get any more details on why they have to be "coded"? (apart from the benefit of the dealer)

Ciao,
    Kakourdos
    Unts! Unts! Unts!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The alarm sounder needs to be coded with your security code using Tech2, its part of the system much like your ignition keys, so it needs to be matched.

I had mine replace on my Astra G when i had it, covered by extened warranty luckily enough.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine used to do it quite often but then it just stopped after that and havent had any problems since (touch wood)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bloody powersounder!! Mine did this too, right pain in the @rse but after some investigating i bought new batteries for £12, replaced them and its fine

As i didn't change the actual unit it didn't have to be recoded. A very easy job as it turns out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast