Thread: Astra sport 1.8 Brakes

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra sport 1.8 Brakes

Hi there all, does anyone know how big the standard front discs are on a 1999 1.8 16v Astra Sport? Ive made a rough measurement of mine with the alloy on and it looked about 280mm. I thought this was a big large considering the cars power... was wondering if maybe its had a disc upgrade in its wee life?

Pete
    Any info on V6 MK4 conversions greatly appreciated!
    ----x--Petey--x----

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Astra sport 1.8 Brakes

Those disc sizes are correct matey 280mm dia (ventilated) on the fronts and 264 on the back if you have rear discs.

Your right about the size matey they are very hefty brakes when compared to other cars of similar size and power.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    280mm dia (ventilated) on the fronts and 264 on the back if you have rear discs
    Is the above correct for my 1.8 SXi 2001 ?
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thankyou kindly Dan

Any point in upgrading to 305mm 4pots (overkill?!) or wud some 10 grooved 284mm discs and some nice pads be enough u reckon? im after better than standard braking, so's i can drive her faster for that lil bit longer...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    dose your car have abs?? and 5 stud's??? if so the dize of the front's is 288mm as std
    you could buy a set of turbo disc and caliper carriers for 308mm

if its a 4 stud its prob 256mm at the front

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18
    dose your car have abs?? and 5 stud's??? if so the dize of the front's is 288mm as std
    you could buy a set of turbo disc and caliper carriers for 308mm

if its a 4 stud its prob 256mm at the front
    He could Danny but he may not have 17" or bigger wheels fitted in which case he's gonna struggle. I've uprated both front and rear to Tarox Sport Japans and the difference is quite noticeable. Never had the slightest doubt that I could stop if I needed to, work well in wet and dry.

www.larkspeed.com are good for brake discs, good service and cheapest prices around usually.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    308mm will fit under 16's maybe even 15's the police cars have them on

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18
    308mm will fit under 16's maybe even 15's the police cars have them on
    You sure Danny? common thinking on the site is that they won''t fit under anything less than a 16" wheel with 17" being the recommended choice. Not having fitted them myself I can't say for sure but I deliberately didn't fit the 308s as my spare is still the 15" that came with the car and I didn't want to get stuck if I had a front puncture. Can't see why the police would upgrade their brakes if the 1.8s are already overbraked but the police often like to spend the publics money on weird ideas

If your right I may consider upgrading my front discs at some time in the future, Brembos anyone

Oh just thought Danny did you ever sort those door handles out for me, you said you were gonna get round to it one day and I'd forgotten about them until I saw your name. If you've still got them and would like to sell them please PM me.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.