Thread: Whiteline Rear Anti-Roll Bar--a review

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Whiteline Rear Anti-Roll Bar--a review

Thought I'd put a post up for the Whiteline ARB which I've just fitted. There are a few ARBs around but the cost, around the £250 mark, means that this mod is out of reach for a lot of people. However the Whiteline ARB costs around the £150 mark and from accounts of other people appears to be of a better design and has a better fitment method. If your interested in this kit you'll probably be better off importing the kit yourself from the Whiteline site https://www.whiteline.com.au/store/ there are 2 types of rear ARB available for the Astra, which is marketed as the Holden Astra in Australia, there's the non adjustable BHR75 and the adjustable BHR75Z. The non adjustable one costs approx £67.23 with the adjustable one costing approx £94.76. These prices are correct at the time of this post but currency variations mean they can vary but it shouldn't be by very much. Carriage can be quite high and you'll have to factor in the chance you'll get stung for import duty, so budget accordingly. Import duty isn't always charged so you may get lucky. Out of around 40 imported parcels I've paid import duty on only 3 but you may get unlucky. I'd advise against a group buy as I did a test on ordering 3 and the cost wasn't worth while as you only saved a few pounds and you'd lose this when you had to repost in the UK, unless you have a set of local people who are interested

The one I fitted was the adjustable one. The instructions are ok but aren't the best, a little common sense is needed but it's definetely within the reach of a good amatuer. All that's needed is to remove the rear wheels and dampers and lower the rear swinging arm so that the rear springs can be removed, if you've ever fitted lowering springs you know how easy this is. The hole in the spring seat is enlarge to 10mm, real easy. A bracket is attached to the bolt you run through the enlarged hole. Now the front pivot bolts are loosened and the nuts removed. Each has a bracket put onto the OE bolt and the nut retightened. The front bracket has 2 polyurethane bushes inserted which the ARB runs through, again pretty easy. The car is then reassembled and has to be either put on ramps or some other method so that the car is resting under load ie NOT on jacks. A figure 8 link is fitted to the end of the ARB and one eye goes to the ARB while the other goes to the bracket previously fitted. Tighten up and the jobs done.

So how does it perform?, well really really well. The back end feels much much tighter, theres very little dip in corners now and the car handles like it's on rails. Is it a worthwhile mod? I'd say get one ASAP and get fitting, for the price it's a very worthwhile mod which makes a big difference to how the car handles.

I'm having to mod my fitment slightly, this is a temporary thing and Whiteline have assured me that future kits won't suffer from the 2 problems I've hit. If your interested in one I'd advise waiting a few weeks before ordering so that the kits can be altered to reflect the mods I need to do.

I'll post a few pics of it fitted, as you can see from the pics the figure 8 links aren't hanging straight, this will be rectified in future kits as this is the mod I need to do.

Oh and before anyone posts and asks what the large extra pipe is in the 2nd picture, that's the extra exhaust pipe for the Duplex exhaust.

Hope this helps anyone considering this mod, I believe the Kmax ARB costs a lot more and doesn't fit half as well
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mmm, my only concern would be how low the figure 8 bit sits.

Good report though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like the look of that alot. - Certainly a different approach to the KMAX - and @ a good price too.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Whiteline Rear Anti-Roll Bar--a review

The figure 8 sits a few inches higher than the wheel rim, it goes up and down with the wheel so in theory it shouldn't ever hit the floor.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've just recieved an e-mail from Whiteline saying that they are going to send me a new Swaybar as the one I've fitted appears to have been bent too wide, hence the links sit at an angle. I've had numerous contact with Whiteline about the kit and I've got to say their after sales service is the BEST I've ever come across in all the years I've been buying car parts, nothing appears to be too much trouble, they answer e-mails promptly and don't talk down to you and think your an idiot. Future kits will be supplied correctly now so if you'd like to improve your Astras handling no end I recommend you buy one as soon as you can.

Firms such as Whiteline should get as much business as we can throw at them just because they actually respond and care.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I sent them the link to this thread so that they could read your review of it. They were quite appreciative that I did. Obviously they recognise the potential market opportunities available in europe given the exchange rate for our banana republic as well as the size of the market. Excellent to see that they have awesome after sales service. I will hopefully be purchasing a full stage one kit off them in the new year after they perfect their quick release strut tower bar.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Nem that's very good of you. Glad I didn't say anything nasty now I'm still in awe of their after sales service, I've never come across anything like it. If anyone on the forum is thinking about an ARB I can give an assurance you won't be dissapointed in either this kit or the company supplying it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    I really want one but cant afford it for now
    Good report though mate
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks good m8. Where do you adjust it though???? May be tempted to order one as the Konis and Eibachs seem to be working well.

I noticed you are running a HP Raid Front Strut Brace. I've also got one (we've got an almost identical suspension setup) but I'm having problems getting it low enough on the fuse box side. Any tips???

I've currently got the Konis set to max hardness front and back, but it's a little too hard, so I'm going to soften up the backs slightly. Will this ARB harden up the rear any, or just stop it from rolling????

Cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Something to consider guys. I drilled out the holes in the bumpstops without removing the springs. I just put the car (chassis) on stands and removed the wheels. You can get a battery drill up the inside of the bumpstop from below. Life becomes very easy when there is a pilot hole for you..!!

Webmaster of Australia's Opel Forum.
    www.opelaus.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast