Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FAO Simon DTI / Harddrive Experts

Hi
    I had a hard disk die on me before, it was working fine through my usb caddy then it decided on its own free will when i clicked on it to say "This disk is not formatted, would you like to format it now?"

When i placed it in its original machine it would not boot either, I did not mishandle it or do anything it just appears to have stopped working?!

What applications best to use to recover this situation?

thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im not sure Rob, we usually send them away for special 'treatment', but it costs loads to recover. There is a bit of software called RECOVDISK which is free and apparently it will make your disk bootable again which is floating about on the web. If you have any important data on the drive could you not slave it from another machine and get the data for now?
    Richie Rich - The Resident P.I.M.P
    "Pimp-Izzle-Fizzle"
    Arden Blue MK4 GSi Turbo

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its ok ive sorted it i think, the virus is in the boot sector which is preventing me, obviously from booting it and when i put it in my caddy it asks if i want to format it. I started recovering the data last night, im also going to take an image of the disk when i get home so i can hopefully get my data off that... but if not i have the file restorer to fall back on!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry Rob, only just saw this today (pm I'd have got sooner ) if you still need a hand let me know. I managed to get most of andys data back, and his disk was truley f00ked
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l