Thread: Twin port?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Twin port?

Ok don't know if this is explained anywhere else, if so send me in the righ direction.

What is twin port? Is it a posh name for DOHC? :?:

Just noticed it on an astra this morning.

Ta Daz

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a twinport, and was lead to believe that it is to do with the air intake, and how it goes into the engine.....after the air intake pipe there is a small black box on top at the back of the engine. here there are 2 holes.....1 big 1 small. when ur just cruising around the small 1 is open letting in X amount of air, but when u want to welly it and give it some, the large one opens sucking in more air giving better response, smoother acceleration and better torque.

I may stand corrected but thats what i was told hope that helps?
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is that not the new multi-point injection I know IIRC on the mk3 there was a single point and a mltipoint injection
    Drives '04 Vectra SRi 2.0T

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its nothing to do with the multi point injection, all MK4's were multi-point. sxibeast is correct, on a standard 1.4/1.6 (and now 1.2 on the corsa), the air intake is just one pipe, but on the twinports there is a butterfly which opens under heavy acceleration enabling the mixture to swirl and combust better and give better flow, there is a definate increase in performance on twinport models.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey
    Its nothing to do with the multi point injection, all MK4's were multi-point. sxibeast is correct, on a standard 1.4/1.6 (and now 1.2 on the corsa), the air intake is just one pipe, but on the twinports there is a butterfly which opens under heavy acceleration enabling the mixture to swirl and combust better and give better flow, there is a definate increase in performance on twinport models.

Spot on explanation that Dave, wanna come on my next block of Master Tech with me, could do with some of that on tests

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    probably a silly question but it is possible to put the twin port intake pipe on a none twin port ecotec, as in my engine

or its it total impossible???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i mite b wrong but wouldnt the ECU need to b changed as well to take into account the new air intake system/mixture of fuel air?
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Techie
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey

Spot on explanation that Dave, wanna come on my next block of Master Tech with me, could do with some of that on tests
    lol....hey I didnt spend 3 years at college and learn nothing....just forgot most of what I learned

I would think it maybe possible to fit the twinport inlet etc. to the standard 1.6 but it really wouldnt be worth the time/money involved, the ECU etc. is different.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Seems strange that it's taken this long to introduce what is in effect a progreesive twin choke throttle body - they've been around for years in the carb world.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxibeast
    i mite b wrong but wouldnt the ECU need to b changed as well to take into account the new air intake system/mixture of fuel air?
    would vaux be able to load the software for the twin port engine on to my ECU?

is it possible to make fully convert my engine to a twin port as i could do with a bit more low rev torque

or is it more than an ECU addjustment and a new intake pipe

also how much would all this little lot cost if it is going to be massive bucks then i wont bother but for the sake of a £100 or so then it would be a worth while mod IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast