Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Astra Stalls at junctions with clutch down but not always

Dear AS,

This is allegedly a common fault, I can't make the car do it which is never helpfull when trying to get a car sorted, It is a tempromental fault,

I am in desperate need of some help as I have been ****ed in the ass by Vauxhalls so many times I dont want to just take it there with a blank cheque again!

I'll write out the problem, to scan read just pick out the bold bits!

For well over a year, on occasions If I drove for a period, then stopped the car, then re started not long after, e.g at petrol station, of posting a letter, when restarting the engine it would take a few seconds of turning over to actually start, once it started was fine. I dont know if thats related to my current problem or not. It only did this less often than one in 15.

so day 1, i was coming upto a roundabout, there was a car infront of me, so i was stop start getting to the round about, guy infront went, then why my gap came round, i went to drive off, and it felt like i had no power i looked down it handnt stalled, i put the clutch down a revved it a bit, then it was ok and i pulled away, bit like if you tried to pull away in fifth but without the resistance, just no power. i thought nothing of this.

few days later, sitting in stop start traffic one morning, and after a hundred yards of stop start the car revs just dropped away silent as a mouse! and it stalled, it restarted ok, then got a bit of a drive 100 yards, got to a roundabout, braked, put clutch down, car revs dropped and it stalled.

and it does this at junctions of traffic at unpredictable times

car seems to run a bit lumpy and jerky, and when when you floor it on a run in one gear e.g 3rd it seems to have a few bursts of power rather than a constant stream, not sure if this is related either,

I had a K&N panel on there but i'll put the paper one in, just to take out a variable!

so step one, the common solution, take off the air intake pipe and clean out the throttle body with carb cleaner/ brake cleaner / petrol as per how to on here. it was pretty dirty so i felt confident

still stalls

so i took off what haynes call the 'idle control speed stepper motor' (also known as the 'air intake control valve' or 'idle control valve'), gave that a damn good going over too

still stalls

redeXed the petrol and cleaned the spark plugs a bit

still stalls

so so many posts on here link stalling to the EGR, i hear I can blank of the EGR with a blanking gasket, at least this would tell me if its that or not

failing that, if the idle control valve is knackered a new one and gaskets looking like under £70 from LMF, so thats next,

but what i dont get is if you assume it stalls cos the idle control valve is faulty, surely its faulty as in it remains shut, so the engine has no air? if it was that surely it would cough and judder rather than silently stall ?

anyway ...

when i rang my local vauxhall garage and asked about a recal on EGR valves, they said there wasnt one, they said they do some work for around £100, actual price still not confirmed, where they clean the throttle body (i've done that) clean out the EGR (eh) and change the oil seperator (what the hell?)

So please can some people who know what they are talking about, or people who have had this please help,

also please can someone arrow my EGR valve on a picture so i can get it off

Many thanks in advance
    Ian

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ian

you have sooooo many issues here.

The pictures aren't the best, but the EGR valve on your car is next to the ignition coil pack (i think!)
    Has the car been scanned for trouble codes?
    It would sound like a poorly idle control valve, maybe even a poor signal from the crank position sensor.

make sure it's code free before anything else

both faults can do all the things you mentioned :roll:

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so its half hour on tech2 which will cost about £40 ? is the first step yeah

crank position sensor sounds cheap not

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    replace NOTHING untill it's been scanned for codes.
    Replacing parts on the off chance quickly becomes expensive.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had this problem on a cav 2.0 16v (same cursed ecotec engine)
    when they plugged it into the computer the ecu said that the crank position sensor was duff so they replaced it, to no avail, then they replaced the lambda sensor, still no luck, i tried a different amm (from a good cav) still no luck
    not really that helpfull to ya just thaught i might let u know what happened to mine, also have a friend with a mk3 astra 1.8 ecotec which does the same
    (both these cars also showed the engine management light)
    i could only assume dodgy connections as the problem seems to be unfixable even with new sensors... i do know that the plug which goes into the top of the engine (is this the crank position sensor?) was a bit duff cause i could wiggle it a bit and restart the engine and the light would go off and it would behave for a month or so.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers to both you guys for info, I have not had the engine management light come on yet.
    I am concerned to take it into vauxhalls just so they charge me and dont actually find the fault, i guess all cars are a money drain, but this one has been really bad

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Different engine but similar characteristics.....

My dad's Boxster was having a similar problem a while ago which was (occasionally) accompanied with the engine warning light. He got it looked at down at the Official Porsche Centre (dealer to you and me) in Bournemouth and they said it was the variable valve timer or something to that effect (not sure if Ecotecs are VVTi's or not but it might be worth finding out)

On another note - that garage has the BEST workshop I have ever seen, it was quite quiet so we had a walk around with the service reception guy. Terracotta tile floors, white walls, shiny aluminium ramps with a lovely selection of shiny tool boxes and a whole bunch of lovely Porsches all over the place. Excellent.
    Nova Merit: 2000-2003 // Irmschered Astra SRi: 2003-2005 // Leon Cupra R: 2005 - 2006 // Linea Rossa Convertible Turbo: 2006-2008 // BMW 840Ci: 2008 - 2012

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had this on both my 1.8s. First one was replacement of a load of things... but it seems that some clever manual programming of the ECU can sort things.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my car showed some of them faults, and it was down to a faulty fuel pump relay.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: My Astra Stalls at junctions with clutch down but not al

Mate, I reckon its the egr valve. Have seen these exact symptoms on plenty of occasions, often it was a faulty throttle position sensor or idle air control valve but usually the egr valve was the prime suspect.