Thread: has my car gone mad???????

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

has my car gone mad???????

every time i start the car after it has been standing for a while (hours) the ECU holds the car at 1500RPM for a about 30-60sec

totally normal i know and i was under the impression that it did this to get the engine temp up

the problem is just recently it has stopped doing this every time it start the engine from cold

it used to do it every time i started the car even if it was a warm day

but now that the mornings are colder it has stopped doing this :roll:

this morning it was 7 degrees outide when i started the car the revs setlled at 800RPM straight away even though the car was turned off for 14hours
    but after work today (8hours off and 14degrees) it the ECU held the engine at 1500RPM for about 30sec

just wondering if this is ok and if there is a reason that the revs arent "held high" when its cold

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine has always gone straight to 800rpm from since the day I got it. Never thought i had a problem...... :roll:

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The ecu uses info from a coolant temperature sensor(CTS) so when the coolant is cold the engine is cold as well, so if the ecu receives a signal saying cold, then it rises the idle, it acts like a choke, once the CTS sends a normal temp it turns the choke off and idle goes to normal. Could be the CTS going a bit dodgy.
    So when cold it should pick the idle up.
    You may need to clean your idle valve, if it starts sticking it can alter what the car idles at.
    My mk3,117K, and the engine is still going strong
    shame about the car shell tho,lol.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine is a bit dodgy, it can be idling at 800rom one minute and then the revs will kinda stick and it will pickup to 1600rpm, even when the engines warmed.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Up_Vauxhall
    Mine is a bit dodgy, it can be idling at 800rom one minute and then the revs will kinda stick and it will pickup to 1600rpm, even when the engines warmed.
    have never experinced this problem

i am trying to think back to what it did earlier this year (feb time when we had snow) and i cant remember if it did high idle when cold

i will see what it does tomorrow but for about the past week now it has not high idled first thing in the morning but it has when i have finished work when it is a good few degrees warmmer :roll:

it is as if the sensor is sending reverse messages as even on the hottest days of the year it still high idled for atleast 30 sec after it had been parked up for only 2 or 3 hours in direct sunlight.

i would have expected it not to high idle for very long in the hot summer and high idle for a while in the cold winter espiacally going by your discription of how it works

very confusing :roll: :roll:

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you do your air box when it started going wrong, more air messes up the fuel/air mixture.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Up_Vauxhall
    Did you do your air box when it started going wrong, more air messes up the fuel/air mixture.
    i derestricted the air box about 3months ago and have just noticed it not behaving as i expected

this morning it high idled for about 5 secs at 9degrees outside then droped down to 1K RPM

i will try and restrict the air box agian tomorrow and see if it sorts it out, never though about that

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you blip the throttle when you start? if you do, thats why it drops the revs, when I get in mine and turn the key from cold, it idles at around the 1200 - 1300 mark, but if I blip the throttle the revs drop to approx 800, if I don't it just stays at high idle.

sort of off the subject but my old man got me into the habit of starting the car with the clutch down, idea being that the starter motor doesn't have the strain of turning the gearbox over aswell, and also if the car is accidently left in gear, you won't jerk forward or back, when starting. Anyone else do this?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylB
    sort of off the subject but my old man got me into the habit of starting the car with the clutch down, idea being that the starter motor doesn't have the strain of turning the gearbox over aswell, and also if the car is accidently left in gear, you won't jerk forward or back, when starting. Anyone else do this?
    Yep! My old man got me into this habbit to!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i do this all the time but that coz i normally park the car in gear. Dont know why just a habbit.
    Astra 1.6 16v SXI 5DR Star Silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast