Thread: Mercedes stereos

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mercedes stereos

I seem to remember somebody on here having a very good knowledge of merc stereos, not sure who it was tho. Anyways the question I have is, my old man just brought another merc and has now decided that sat nav might be useful for him (I did try telling him along time ago that he'd want it) so is it possible to have a proper mercedes sat nav unit/screen/what ever else fitted after the cars been brought or is it a factory only option? He only wants a proper merc one that fits the dash correctly etc, and cost isn't really a factor as its a company car anyway. So is it possible?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    basil is the man to speak to but from what i've been told yes it is possible to get it all fitted after market
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In short yes it is possible on all models for all the factory options except don't expect MErc to say so and this is definatly not something that most ICE shops can do.

How difficult and expensive depends on the year of the car and the type of navigation unit/option required i.e. Audio 30 or audio 50 (newer cars) or the Comand 2.0 or the newer APS and what options were specified from the factory.

The new E class and the Forthcoming CLS are very difficult and expensive(due in no small part because you have to remove most of the interior), except where the audio 50 was fitted as standard, the rest like the new facelifted C and CLK are easy as is the new SLK and the forthcoming A class. The S, CL and SL are like the E class.

Lastly if the car is a ML or the current A class it is a 45min job for an experienced hand or a 2 hrs job for the in-experienced hand.

What I really need to know is what model MB he has bought and I can advise you accordingly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info so far, should have mentioned it's a 54 plate C230.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I assume then that it is a facelift one so you can retrofit a Comand Sat nav unit (DVD based with full screen Display and the top range unit) or the Audio 50 navigation unit (Icon display only and CD-rom based). You can also retrofit the phone system and the voice control for all functions (called Lingatronic). TV is not a option anymore in the C class but as per any Comand you can add a DVD and you have an AUX input to connect things like MP3 players. Remember that it is all controlled by the Steering wheel and you get the additonal display in the Instrument cluster enabled at the same time. Incidently this can be retrofitted by Mercedes as they have a Retrofit guide in the WIS system.

Phones that can currently be used are being added to all the time with the exception of Sharp, Samsung and LG which are not supported at all. So you are looking at the likes of Nokia (various models but the mainstay is the 6310i, but it does include some of the newer models), Siemens (all models except the SX1 and for the mo the S65 but this is due in November), Motorola (certain models like the v525, V600 will be supported by the end of this month) and Sony/Ericsson (T610, T630 and soon the K700i)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spot on, cheers fella will let him know. It came with a phone kit already fitted, he's just got to get a new handset, think it'll be a while took me 3 years to get him away from his 3210!! Thanks for your help mate.