Thread: Insurance for 17 year old

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Insurance for 17 year old

Hey, i am looking to get a mark 4 astra very soon, possibly within the next couple of weeks, but wondering whether i'll be able to get a decent insurance quote or not. I am 17 and have done pass plus, and looking to get a 1.4+, not sure which model as i am open to suggestions as i want whatever will give me cheapest insurance, don't mind what year as looking to spend money on the car, don't want to buy brand new. So the question is, who is the best to go with, and is it possible to get a decent quote fully comp, under £2,000 for a 1.4, or anything above that?

Cheers.

Allan.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try tesco's for an online quote. They are generally cheaper for the younger driver. www.tesco.com

Also try www.confused.com. They search many of the companies for the cheapest quote.

Im assuming that the smaller the engine you get, the cheaper the insurance is guna be aswell.

oh yeah, and welcome to the site

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was 18 when i got my 1.6 SXi and insured under my mum`s name, with 'any other driver over 18' was about 1100 quid and i dont have pass plus. thats with the Co-Op insurance service. only bad bit is i dont get no-claims. but i cant afford it in my name so thats the only option for me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if your going for a 1.4 mate your insurance wont be too bad! my insurance on a 1.4 Corsa was £1300 fully comp under my own name!

now i'm 21 and having to resit my test again insurance for me on a 1.4 Astra is £750 but i only had my license 8 months so i'm basically still classed as a new driver!
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.4 will be under 2K......i'd take a hazard guess at 1200/1300 but depends on situation, area, job, etc, etc. Just phone the insurance companies and find out. Only way you'll know.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Insurance for 17 year old

Thanks alot for the suggestions guys.

Tried confused.com and got a quote of £1400 as 2nd driver on a 2003 1.8 SXi with autodirect/norwhich union, really happy with it and will be looking to get an astra asap, thanks alot again.

Cheers.

Allan.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry but i dont see the point in paying £1400 when theres a good chance the insurance company wont pay out in the event of a claim. why not just get the car in your name, insure it in your name and then next year youll have 1yrs ncb (hopefully) and a much cheaper price and then the same each year.

doing it your way is insurance fraud and even a few years down the line if you swap the car and insurance in your own name - youll still pay a huge price coz you have no ncb.

you know it makes sense
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: re: Insurance for 17 year old

Quote Originally Posted by allan86
    Thanks alot for the suggestions guys.

Tried confused.com and got a quote of £1400 as 2nd driver on a 2003 1.8 SXi with autodirect/norwhich union, really happy with it and will be looking to get an astra asap, thanks alot again.

Cheers.

Allan.
    I agree with S7EN on this point mate! whats the point on shelling out 1400quid on a car that if in the event of a smash may be classed as uninsured as your insurance may state that you are no Insured to drive the said vehicle during business hours!!

Try your luck with a 1.4 16v on insurance and trust me a good well looked after 1.4 16v will rape any 1.8 16v round the town or tight country roads just ask GOGS and M7ACD
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    got a good quote this time round, better than tesco by 300bucks, but this is my 3rd year drivin with 2 years ncb, that was with admiral btw

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and btw - i used to have a fronted policy (me as 2nd driver) when i was 18 and most people dont realise theres anything wrong with it, but insurance companies do and now after working in insurance for a year and seeing claims getting refused everyday for the slightest thing i would ALWAYS keep my insurance legit - the insurance companies will try anything to not pay a claim.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast