Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fitting neons...

Hello all,

This is something i have been toying with now for several months... Fitting blue neons insidethe car.... and yesterday i famaly managed it... and all for less than £30.00..... well pleased to say the least!

I have wired the neons up to the wiring of the cigaret lighter usings aseparate switch and bridgeing the connections to ensure thereis power to the cigy lighter for my mobile charger and the switch for the neons.... Is this what everone else has done?

I was also thinking seriously about doing this in the back of the car but i am not to sure where to mount the lights... any sugestions...

Sould i also fit a separate switch for the neons i am thinking about fitting outside the car?

Has anyone else done this mod to their car? If so how did you wire up the exteranl tubes and where all did you fit them?

Cheers....
    Col
    02 Astra 1.6 16V SXI 5dr
    Scorpion cat back system, PVD panel filter, de-restricted and drilled out air box, Vectra piping
    Sony head unit with speakers, amp & sub to match, Chrome heater dials and plush car mats

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nawwww dont put neons under the car! please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this what everone else has done?
    Here's my setup:
    Blue LED's in front footwells, and LED spots shining on dash, Blue LED's in boot install shining on the subs.

I take a power feed from the battery by nicking it off the feed to the amps. Then I have an array of switches so I can set the front leds to be "on" "off" or "on when interior light on" (by using relay). Similarly the boot leds can be "on" "off" or "on when boot open". I also have switches that interupt the remote turn on signal for the amps, so they can be turned on and off independantly. Im goin to use another relay so that i can set the amps to "on" "off" or "on with ignition" to prevent batterys running down when i switch off the car but leave the radio on. I also have a "master switch" that kills everything, amps, lights, cooling fans, everything. Finally i got a snooper, and have wired the power supply onto the back of the ciggie lighter so it comes on with the ignition and is seperate from the master switch.

Im lucky that I have the amps in, so it's nice and easy for me to get hold of a 12v non-ignition switched supply in the cabin. If u dont hav a direct wire to the battery then going off the ciggie lighter is a good idea as its easy to get to and can supply plenty of current for lighting. As it's ignition switched it is also "idiot proof" in so much as anything wired to it wont drain ur battery over night. Only slight downside is that u hav to hav the ignition on, but it's swings and roundabouts really.

I was also thinking seriously about doing this in the back of the car but i am not to sure where to mount the lights... any sugestions...
    What are you trying to illuminate? I have some cold cathode tubes which dont work at the min. When I fix them I will put those in the front footwells under the seats, and move the LEDs that I have there at the min, so that they are under the rear of the front seats (on top of rear heater ducts) and shine into the rear footwells. Hopefully these, with the front cathode tubes, will make the whole floor inside the car glow nicely.

Sould i also fit a separate switch for the neons i am thinking about fitting outside the car?
    Yes. Switches are cheap, and gives u the option of turning off the external neons if u dont want to attract too much attention. (police dont like neon lights, especially not blue ones, and definatly not when they are on the outside of ur car!)

I've not got neon tubes fitted to my car - its somthing I have considered, but I want to get some new wheels and lower it first, to get a really good effect. I would, however, recommend buying decent LED tubes, as opposed to Neons. LED tubes are less prone to breaking, and are often brighter and can produce blinding effects like colour changin, strobing, chasing etc etc. Anyone else done this?

Oh yeah, another cool thing I just thought of.. If u fit undercar lighting then u could fit a switch and relay so that they turn on with the interior light. So when ur walkin back to the car at night, u can hit the remote central locking, the interior light fades up and ur undercar lights come on.. by remote control!! Schaweeeeet!
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am thinking about putting blue neons behind my grill and bumper, you can get two off ebay for £8 with the switch/inverter and everything.
    BAD i like the idea of a master kill switch,is that just a switch put in the power feed to your amp/neons etc.
    My mk3,117K, and the engine is still going strong
    shame about the car shell tho,lol.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the master switch is a toggle type switch, and has 6 terminals on the back. One "in" and two "out" for each of 2 seperate circuits. I have the remote turn on lead from HU on the "in" of one side, and +12v from the battery on the "in" of the other side. Then split the remote lead in 2, and take it onto 2 more switches. Same with the power really, take to switched live off the output of the master switch and run that to everything else that needs power - fit an inline switch in the wire from the master to the LED, so that when the master is on, u can control things with their own switch, but kill everything with the master. I find it's dead handy for when ur commin up to park sum where, since it kills all the amps and lights it means u dont attract attention to all the toys in ur car just before u park it somewhere.

Im into electronics and stuff as a hobby, so if u need anymore info I can draw u a wiring diagram if u want.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah see, some clever wiring, they seem handy to have to kill all your gadgets as you said.
    Are your neons inside your car, do you know if they are safe to use outside. I can get two 12" neon tubes to put behind the grill and bumper.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont hav any external neons, but there should not be any big problem with puttin them out where they might get wet. Wires can get wet safely, as they have plastic insulating sleaves, the only thing u need to worry about are any connections and bare wires. If u have to join wires in a damp place, then either crimp of male/female bullet or spade terminals and slot them together or solder them, then bind each join well with insulating tape to try to keep water out. (Bind tightly, and dont be stingy with the tape!)

The main thing is that no wet bare wires get near to each other, so the other thing u need to worry about is water gettin into the transformer of the neon...

U can see the transformer will be in the thick bit at the left hand side of this one. If i wanted to fit this outside I woudld use a little silicon, to make sure all the joins in the case are water tight.

At the end of the day tho, the most important thing is to make sure u put a low current fuse on the cable to the neon. (Put the fuse between the master switch and the neon switch.. so the only thing drawing current thru the fuse is the neon). Then if it gets wet and causes a short circuit, the fuse will burn out so even if ur neon gets ****ed by being filled with water... at least it wont set ur car on fire!
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok cheers for your advice mate.