Thread: Door Cards

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Door Cards

ok, so i really want to put my infinity components in the front, only i tried to take the door card off today without success... couldn't figure it out.

spoke to a dude in halfords who has an astra mk4, and he said not to bother with upgrading the speakers in the car cuz it's such a bitch to do the upgrade, difficult to take the door cards off and the rear panels.

anyone have any advise? i do wanna upgrade the speakers, as i have a lot of infinity hardware to use and i'd like to use it..

thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    go to:
    Board Index -> Astra-Sport Main Forums -> ICE -> Frequently asked questions / How to (Updated)

quite sure there is a how to in there, ill just check

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry theres only one for the coupe, not sure if the door setup is the same with regard to scres/clips and so on but anyway:

Door panel removal Coupé (to upgrade front door speakers)

1) Prise out any switches (Electric windows and mirrors) with a screwdriver
    2) Prise off the door handle surround with a screw driver working around it gradually
    3) Remove the mirror casing that holds the tweeter
    4) Take out the 4 screws at the bottom of the door panel itself
    5) Prise off the panel itself until you have enough room to disconnect the door pull cable
    6) Remove the panel over the top of the door pin

To refit:

Opposite of the above

Tips:

Use a piece of card under the screwdriver to avoid damage.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    invest in a haynes manual.....alllllllwwwaays comes in handy!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ther are 4 screws in the handle and 3 at the bottom, you need a torx bit to remove the speaker too. it's a dead easy job to get the door cards off. I popped the switches off when I'd got the cards out (saves prizing them with a screwdriver) and the door release cable is easy to get out if you lift the whole card off first
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ignor the chimp in halfrauds... if he knew anything about cars, dont u think he would be workin somewhere else? (no offence to anyone on here who works at a halfords, but the staff at the ones near me are not too sharp in my experience).

Anyway, door cards are easy....

I've got a 3dr hatch:
    1. Pull off the door mirror adjustment boot (slides off easily)
    2. Pull off the little triangle behind the mirror (3 clips) and take out the tweeter. Be careful of the tweeter cable.
    3. Pull off the "front half" of the grab handle, starting at the bottom side of the lower edge. Then undo the torx screws behind that, also remove the electric window button.
    4. Undo the 3 torx screws along the lower edge of the door card
    5. With the window down, pull the bottom of the door card away (Many clips), and then pivot the rear edge upwards off the door pin.
    6. Loosen the whole rubber edge off the window so u can then lift it completely away. Before moving the card away from the door (now its loose) pull the door handle as if opening the door - so u can remove the cable that slots into the rear of the door handle. Also, there's a blue lug on the outer of this door pull cable that needs to be pushed off from the side nearest to u.

I've had my door cards off numerous times while doing the hifi.. but I learned from the Haynes the first time. (sound advice peter) If u want one, see HERE

Oh, and good idea to upgrade the front speakers. U'll be needing 16cm drivers, and a pair of adapter plates:
    CLICK ME

U can use the standard wiring if u want to drive them off ur HU, but obviously will need new wiring if u want to use a seperate amp. Gettin new speaker cable from ur amp into ur doors... now that's a whole other challenge!! (Doin mine involved loosening the big torx that holds the door retainer bar [that stops the door openin too far] and then drillin a hole in the door skin. Not easy).
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    U'll be needing 16cm drivers
    huh?

the rest sounds easy enough. how about the rear speakers? i have some 13cm coaxials to do in there...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, well component speakers come in 2 sizes.. 13cm and 16.5cm. The standard ones in the Astra are 16.5cm - so there is space to fit the bigger ones if u wanted. However it is still possible to fit 13cm coaxials.. u just need a slightly different adapter plate. It looks a lot like the one pictured above, but the hole for the speaker is slightly smaller.

HTH
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so i need the adaptor to fit my 16.5's in the front, and an adaptor to fit my 13's in the rear correct?

how does the rear card come off in the three door?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I havnt actually had the rear quarter panels off in my 3dr yet - so Ive still got std speakers runnin off the original wiring to the HU. Ill have a look in my haynes for u later and see if i can find how they come off... unless anyone else knows?? :?:

As for the speakers -
    Front - Std speakers are 16.5cm, so theres space to fit 13 or 16.5's. Both require an adapter plate, to hold them to the door. If u want 16.5s then use the adapter above. If u want to fit 13s then get one similar, but with a smaller hole. (in fact the adapter above says that u can use either, so i guess it comes with a large donut/washer type shape that would screw into the 16.5cm speaker hole, to reduce it to 13)

Rear - Im not entirey sure, as Ive not had them out. However, there is this adapter on the same website... and it says u can only use 10cm speakers in the back. http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/...oducts_id+2002 Hopefully someone else can assist u with more info on the rear, cos I dont know, sorry. ops:
    B.A.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast