Thread: 1.8 Sport starting problems

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 Sport starting problems

hi guys, ive finally got myself a 1.8 16v Astra was happy...but now it doesnt start

drove it 100 miles from where i bought it-with no problems at all, shunted cars around on the drive 3 nights ago-again no problems. yesterday went to start it up and the engine just about fired, got up to about 900rpm then died. tried again and nothing. the batterys fine, the starter motor is trying to turn the engine over but its just having none of it. if i try turning the engine over for about 20 seconds or so it just about picks up-gets to 900rpm and dies again its not the immobiliser. any ideas guys wud be seriously appreciated

Pete

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its flooding - this may be down to a faulty air temp sensor or just one of those things that happens now and again.

Quick fix - remove the fuse for the fuel pump (check the handbook), then try turning the car over - the car wont start but will expell any fuel sitting in it.

Reconnect fuse and try again.

If this fails - step 2 - remove the plugs - warm them on a radiator for 5 - 10 mins, try turning the car over with no plugs (again - to dispell unspent fuel), replace the plugs and try again.

And if this fails - check the plug leads/ firing bar/wires for any signs of damage/arcing and misfiring - but this is rare.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks a lot for the quick reply! am off now to get a haynes manual
    ill let u know how i got on!

Thankyou
    Pete

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    pete is very happy now! cars all fixed! can put direct my attention to the install now!

Took the fuse out flushed out fuel like u said, put it back and voila car burbled into life! Any ideas why/how this happened mate? Normally u can leave a flooded engine for a lil while and the fuel evaporates...why didnt this happen in the astra? :?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This seems to be common on the Ecotec - my in-laws had this happen on their Veccy the other day, I believe it is a temp sensor fault after a short journey (backing out out of a garage or moving the car on a driveway) . Most noticably if you move the car from a warm environment in to the cold - condensation must form on a sensor 'tricking' it in to thinking it is colder than it actually is, and this remains for a longer time than the fuel in the injection system has to evaporate, so say you leave the car for 2 hours (giving unspent fuel time to evaporate off), then try to restart, the sensor automatically increases the fuel delivery again and you are back to square one.

Its one of these things that occurs this time of year - especially in the cold duey mornings.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com