Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any advice would be good.

Hey everyone,

just did the wiring on my sub last night, and it doesnt seem to be working. I know this i probably really vague as there are no doubt numerous things it could be, but any sugggestions on what to check would be useful?

i know the sub and amp work as i took them out of my old car where it was fine, and i have used the same wiring kit. The amp has a green light on which i'm guessin shows the cable (and fuse) running to the battery are fine.

Could it possibly be the connection to the earth? or is it the case if this wasnt working then i wouldnt see a light to say it is on.

cheers for any help

Rich

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The green led wouldn't work without earth as earth completes the electric circuit.Where have you used for an earth connection.
    Are you trying to run the sub bridged, are the speaker wires from the amp to the sub connected proper.
    Is the amp getting an RCA feed from the HU, is the gain set on the amp, it may be set fully down so not much signal is being sent. Put the gain at about half.
    My mk3,117K, and the engine is still going strong
    shame about the car shell tho,lol.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    check the connections to the sub to the amp, - to - and + to +

if that fails, maybe worth checking the connection for the sub to the box... inside, if that makes sense, it's possible that the connection inside may have come lose if it's been moved about and it's not tight enough on the connection.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this may sound like a stupid suggestion too.... but have u check the gain level on the amp? it's not turned down is it?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah have checked that - and to make sure tried it both directions fully. I know the connections inside the sub and box are ok, as i disconnected the wiring from my amy and attached it to a mates one and the sub worked perfectly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If ur still stumped - I would reccomend u get a multimeter. Hav u used one before?
    If not, then dont worry as the basic functions are dead easy to use - u usually only need voltage and continuity/resistance (and sometimes current).

I would reccomend starting at the battery, and work ur way along the circuits...
    1 - Use continuity checker (just checks that there's a complete circuit) it beeps if there's a circuit. (or use resistance checker, resitance goes from infinity to almost zero if there's a circuit) Connect one side of the multimeter to the + batt, and the other to the end of the power cable. Do the same with the earth cable and the - batt terminal. Then u kno the power and earth cables are ok.
    2 - U can measure DC voltage at the amp, by connectin it to the + and - terminals on the amp. To check there's voltage supplied to the amp.
    3 - Measue AC volts on the RCA outputs of ur head unit, and check at the end of the RCA cable too. Now u kno that ur HU is kickin out a signal and so ur amp is gettin power and a signal.
    4 - U can also measure the AC voltage at the speaker terminals on the amp to check that there's an output from the amp. Then u can do the same at the end of the speaker cables to check they are ok.
    5 - use continity checker to check that there's a circuit thru the speaker. resistance will be about 4 ohms. (probly)
    If all these tests seem ok - then the problem is some kind of black magic im afraid! lol

Let me kno if u need more info on how to use the multimeter. I strongly reccomend u get one as they are dead cheap and super useful for everything electrical! U can get digital and analoge (needle). Personally I prefer the analogue ones, but it makes no difference really.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey B.A.D cheers for the advice with the multimeter - the old man had one in the garage so used that. Appears the earth cable was faulty. Strange as i was getting a light to the Amp to say it was on - replaced earth and sub now seems to be working ok. Anyway not gonna question why - the main thing is the Astra now has bassline

cheers!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good stuff! Glad u got it sorted.
    B.A.D.