Thread: Winter wheels

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Winter wheels

Winter wheels are becoming really popular on the VW scene they have for a long time with the show cars but even the not so show car owners are now doing it!!

It means your car looks a little "less" modified or even ruins the look of the car but they are a sensible option if you drive your car on a daily basis. Most get a small rim like from 19's (polished) to a retro (refurbed) 16'' so that you get more tyre and more grip (arguable) but at the end of the day the salt, grime, and genrally crap of the roads wont ruin your expensive wheels!! Also its not the end of the world if you hit some black ice and hit the kerb.

I was just wondering if you think this will become apart of the vaux scene? Is it too anal for us or do you think it should be adopted? The VW culture has now even brought the "winter wheels look" into the magazines by featuring cars that have the winter look that have been featured in the past (admitadly a few years back!!) also the winter wheels would be some peoples show wheels :roll:

I doubt the vaux scene would get that way but I think its basically a good idea and does show a lot of care for your car......whats your thoughts?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can see why people do it ! Some wheels cost a fortune and I wouldnt want to mess them up with general road crap thats around in winter.
    im bored !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm thinking of getting a set of 14" steels and some elcheapo winter tyres for my Corsa. The 15" rims with the 195 rubber will be pants on ice considering how light my car is.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    was thinking about putting my standard 16"s back on for winter coz they are kerbed to f*** after spinning out on some ice last year, but i dont want my car to go anyfurther back to standard as it pretty much is already, need to put more thought into this i think.

what do you mean by a winter wheel look matt?
    are they just putting older "out of date" sorta wheels on their cars?
    basically what is the difference in looks between a summer and winter wheel? :? like chrome in summer black finish in winter for example?

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    johnny more expensive wheels for the summer or chrome, specaial finishes etc that could get damaged, at the end of the day normal alloys can get attacked by road salt etc over the winter months. A lot of the VW boys go retro and put older VW wheels on or porsche wheels that have been refurbed and it completly changes the look of the car but in a good way....if you have adjustables put some spacers on smaller wheels and slam it for the winter look
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh i see cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    #Winter whels IMO are a waste of time. My mate does this on his MK4 van and his punto, the result is they look crap for 6 months of the year. Unless your wheels are particuarly prone to salt damage (I know a lot of the US imported chrome wheels dont stand upto salt well), then keep them on the car, theres as much chance of them getting damaged on it as in storage.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I always kept my original spare set of 14" SXi alloys for the winter coz used to have to drive through floods and crap that meant that I could have damaged the Speedline Alessio 2's I used to have, and once most of the bad weather was passed I would swap back after 3-4 months. I will be doing the same with with this car by using the original SRi 16's as all purpose rims (as they are not in a1 condition) and keeping the set of 17" Turbo alloys for better weather use.

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I`ve got winter wheels .................................................. ............

On my winter car

My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it is a good idea tbh

but only if you can afford it
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast