Thread: sports cat???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sports cat???

Rang courtenay about fittin a pre-cat pipe but they want £185 to fit it cos it needs a flange welding on. Thinking of paying the extra and getting a sports cat also so am i right in saying that if i buy both pipes i will not need to weld a flange on and i could fit them myself?

Also is there much improvement from the two pipes?

Thanx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you get the sports CAT there wouldn't be the need of the flange hehe. With those two parts on you should be looking at upto 10bhp increase in performance .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: sports cat???

I'm confused here. A lot of people on the site refer to pre-cats but seem to imply that they are refering to the centre section with the resonator fitted. Surely this is AFTER the cat and so should be called Post-Cat. As far as I can remember the only part of the exhaust system that would qualify as a Pre-Cat would be the exhaust manifold as I'm sure that's what the cat attachs to.

Am I wrong?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: re: sports cat???

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    I'm confused here. A lot of people on the site refer to pre-cats but seem to imply that they are refering to the centre section with the resonator fitted. Surely this is AFTER the cat and so should be called Post-Cat. As far as I can remember the only part of the exhaust system that would qualify as a Pre-Cat would be the exhaust manifold as I'm sure that's what the cat attachs to.

Am I wrong?
    In this case yes.

Z20LET has 2 cats - one is directly after the turbo and is small but restrictive. It is before the main cat and is therefore called the pre-cat.
    This piece can be replaced by a straight through pipe. The turbo in the Z20LET is actually an integral part of the manifold and so the earliest point that any cat can be positioned in the system is after the turbo.

There has to be a main cat to keep the car legal - but is can be replaced with a sports cat.

Regal offer a pipe that replaces both the pre-cat and main cat. So no need for the extra flange. Courtenay and Milltek offer the pre-cat replacement pipe as a seperate item.
    Me run tings.... not tings run me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ahh my mistake T-Bone and well explained. There's nowhere in the post which says it was the Turbo we were discussing so I wrongly assumed it was a normal engine and exhaust system. Thanks for clearing up my misconception.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone fitted a sports cat to a 1.8 mk4? worth it? how much are these things?
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

£250 from Cossvaux Richie last time I priced them. £400 for a 4 branch SS manifold as well They reckon over 15bhp extra with both.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm always fancied this mod though just cant justify the £650 price tag! maybe if i keep the car for a few more years i may use this mod to regain any lost interest anytime down the line
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!