Thread: Uninsured drivers!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uninsured drivers!

Went to a vauxhall dealer a while back for a EGR valve replacement, and got told nothing to do with them as the car is an import.

got the car fixxed my self and thought nothing more about what they told me....

....untill yesderday when I was talking to my boss at work about cars, and i asked him why the logbook on my car says first reged 2002 when the car is 1999. he said cud b an import and went on to say that I should make sure, coz it can effect insurance policy.

so, went back to garage i bought the car and asked for a copy of the hpi check, but apparently they dont keep them on file. and basically told be that its got a 17 digit vin so its not an import.
    not convinced by this reply, i went to vauxhall who told me it was an import and asked how they know.. they said its on there computer as a import, and they said you can also tell by the vin and the black sticker on the drivers door. they said the sticker should say vauxhall motor company if its not an import and opel if it is.

guess what mine says opel, and they said my insurance could be void! is this true? could i actually be un-insured? on the log-books its registered as a vauxhall astra not a opel astra.

can anyone shed some light on to this, what exactly is effeted by being an import? will value of the car be effected etc? will it cost more to insure? or is it just a case of telling the insurance company its an opel not a vauxhall?

Oh i also got told that the garage who sold me the car should have told me that it was an import, and therfore i'm entitled to take the car back.. is this true?
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mick-uk/misc/sig1.gif
    ------------------------------
    Star Silver 1.8 5Dr Sport

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's on the Log book as an Vauxhall astra i would take it up with the DVLA as the insurance company can only go by the registration of the vehicle which is inturn used to find out the make model engine size and so on from the DVLA, if the DVLA have a false record of this car I.e it's an Opel not a Vauxhall, you shoudl contact them straight away, also the Dvla will know if it's imported or not

hope that helps!!

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, phone your insurance people up first and foremostly.
    Most are open on a saturday.

Get that cleared up first.

It may have a lower resale value being an import.
    If you've had it for a while, you probably cant take it back.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the garage knew it was an Opel import and in anyway misled you in the selling of the car to you then you are entitles to seek compensation from them (you could try to return the car - but they would argue it was fit for purpose), have another HPi check done to see what light this throws on it.

If it is an Opel , somewhere along the line someone would have to debadge the wheels, steering wheel , change the grille and the rear badges of the car. If this was done by the gargae you bought it from then they are naughty boys.

In terms of spec, there may be some variations in spec eg ABS as standard in the Uk may not be overseas, if its a Cyprus car for example - it would be a poverty spec, also there is a question of underseal levels.

I think IIRC there are only 2 or 3 countries where Opel sell as a RHD car, Cyprus, Channel Is. and S Ireland.
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine says opel but it definately 100% astra.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i remember richy rich's car having an opel badge on the engine cover and tag on the door and AFAIK his aint an import

however this doesnt mean yours isnt and i would defo get a full hpi done on it and if it is then fight to have it returned to the garage
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine's got Opel badges in the Door, and it's deffo not an import
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had a look at mine and it say's Opel - as most Astras are built in Belgium I'd expect nothing less.

Furthermore as I've had enough dealing with both dealers and VXHQ to know them on first name terms, I'd have thought it'd have been picked up now if it was an import.

Mines defo 100% VX, even though it's a rebadged opel. 17 fif Vin BTX.

Anyone with a copty of TIS should be able to check out your vin - I'd offer but mines FUBAR.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Uninsured drivers!

I'm totally confused now...

been looking at service history book, and it does have 3 dealer stamps that look to be german.

one 2000 2001 and 2002.. then the stamps are from uk.

but in the back of the service history book it has the name of the first owner and a dealer stamp from harrogate dated 29th april 1999... to me it looks like the car was bought in the uk. but took to germany... would this be classed as an import when its brought back into uk?

i dont want to fone insurance company and tell them it might be an import if it actually isnt, but then again why wont vauxhall touch it? telling me it is an import?? :roll:

how to i check vin using tis?
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mick-uk/misc/sig1.gif
    ------------------------------
    Star Silver 1.8 5Dr Sport

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This could be a services car.

A tax loophole allows army/navy services to purchase cars - UK spec - abroad, at European prices, and then return them to the Uk at a greatly reduced/exempt import duty. Tis could be one of those.

My wife had a Polo like that, took no end of mucking around to get it re-registered as a UK car, headlight beams altered, correcting spec and paying all outstanding taxes. Careful
    why do today what you can...... I'll finish this later

2958cc was 175BHP @ 4000rpm, 370Nm (273lb.ft.) @ 1900rpm NOW 230BHP/469Nm (344.9lb/ft)!! www.IUsedToOwnTwoAstras.com