Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Faded and Marked Plastic Trims - Help

Hiya,
    I have an 04 Astra SXI which I purchased in March of this year. It has the black plastic (not body coloured) bump strips down the side and at the bottom.
    They are starting to look really faded and washed out already. Much much worse than some much older Astra's I've seen. To be honest im pretty p*ss*d off because I've always tried to be as careful as possible with not getting polish on them etc.
    I've tried using back to black and other stuff like that but it just seems to wash of and fade again the first time it rains.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to cure this please let me know. Im even considering paying to have them sprayed body coloured to make it look better because it looks awful at the moment. To make matters worse the car is balck which menas it shows up even more.

Also does anyone think I would have any joy if I went into the VX dealer?. I'm kinda reluctant too seeing as the guy that sold me the car is my best mates dad

Thanks In Advance

Chris

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    Am afraid this happens to all black trims that arent colour coded on all makes of cars
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spray them mate... Or you could try turtlewax tyre gel, works great on tyres... Send some pics, lets see how bad they are...
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine are exactly the same, and having a black car makes them stand out a mile! I'm gonna spray them.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    meguires purple gel stuff, thats what i used to use. but if you get them sprayed it is a LOT better IMHO.
    Ex Astra Coupe Driver
    Now: Audi A4 Cabriolet

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would decide now what your going to do, as if you keep aplying all this fancy black to black gear on them, you will find spraying them may become an arse!
    Irmscher parts irmscher-bits.com
    ask 4 Dave & mention Darren SXi 1.8 sent u!

Performance Vauxhall Show 'A-S Cleanest Car' 2006

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try Black Wax. It's a turtle wax product I think, and it's a very black gloopy liquid you rub on directly, much better than the clear spray stuff. Get it from Halfords. I use it and seems to be OK.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i use autoglym tyre dressing, just apply it each time you vallet the car. brilliant for tyres/door strips/skirts/door mirror backing plates/weather strips that run along the bottom of the glass/wiper arms/irmy grill! nothing will last forever though this stuff has reasonable staying power.
    Cheers Rich.
    http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=yfn4l...x=400&oq=0
    North East Regional OrganiserClickHERE For The Regional Forum!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same same same!! Black car, trim went grey - looked sh1te. Tried back to black, which was ok but doesnt last as long as i would like. So colour coded them myself. Cost about £15 for the wet n dry paper and primer/paint/laquer sprays from halfrauds. A lot less than £120 sum ppl hav been quoted to get it done in a body shop. Look pretty good imho.
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Faded and Marked Plastic Trims - Help

I've just bought some Meguiars Natural Shine Vinyl and rubber protectant. This stuff is really good, removes old wax and leaves the vinyl/rubber looking like it just came out of the showroom. Was very good on the window seals and the mirror housings. As my bump strips are colour coded I can't say what it's like on them but it should be fine.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast