Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ICE on a budget

I currently have:

Although my changer unit has Blaupunkt on it, not philips Prob just a different sticker :roll:

Which does:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauxhall.co.uk
    CCR 600 stereo radio/cassette with RDS-EON and Traffic Programme facility. Automatic search tuning, FM and MW reception, autostore function plus six station preset buttons and speed dependent volume control. Cassette features track search, fast forward and autoreverse. Analogue controls for CD changer which features scanning of tracks, random play and previous/next/cue and repeat facilities. 4 x 20 watts. Detachable front panel. Compatible with steering wheel controls.
    And is allegedly worth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vauxhall.co.uk
    £739.00
    :shock: :shock: :shock: PMSL

and I want a bit more bass but I don't want to replace the whole kit. I don't think that the H/U has RCA outputs but I have seen some adapters / resistors that convert a normal speaker output into an RCA but:

1. Do they work - i.e. are they worth it?
    2. How would I wire it up?

All I am really looking for is a good quality 10" or 12" sub with an amp attached to the box and all the wiring done in a multiplug type fixing so that I can remove it from the boot easily when I need the space.

Any advised would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I personaly would seriously consider removing the ccr600 and buying an MP3 player like the pioneer deh-p 77mp or equivelent with a steering controle adaptor. You will have more control over the sound output and a much tighter bass through your standard speakers. It also has 6v preouts so when you sell the ccr on ebay you can buy yourself a nice amp and sub and do the job properly!

Thats the way I'd do it.

If you still decide to go for an amp and box before the HU, then an amp with high level inputs should be considered as you can wire your standard HU speaker outputs straight in. Its not an ideal situation though and you wont have the control over the sub you need. It will just sound messy.

A newer HU like the 77mp or similar with a sub-out will give you the ability to adjust the gain and crossover frequancy of the sub whilst retaining the rear speakers normal opertaion and even the option to highpass filter the midrange speakers and hence loes some of the distortion at high volume as your sub will be doing the heavy work. For the sake of a £200 HU you cant go wrong!