Thread: ICE beginner!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ICE beginner!!

Well people, as i'm going to be getting my car quite soon my mind has started to wander to the world ICE, i've pretty much passed over this field in the past but now i'm starting to get interested.
    I've done a bit of research on what kit is to my liking and what i need but i thought i'd ask the opinion of some of the veterans on here.
    Basically i'm getting a coupe and i'm interestind in almost all types of music but as a guide recently i've been listening to the likes of Prodigy, Markdj's stuff, Travis, Faithless, Dido and a bit of Tchaikovsky thrown in for good measure.
    I'm pretty sure i'd prefer a SQ system as apposed to a system purely for moving vast amounts of air.
    Budget wise i don't really have a defined dudget but i'm probably going to buy bits of kits over a period of time e.g. head unit first then speakers then amplification and so on. But as a rough guide on price i've put together a system on components i've heard good things about,

Head unit:
    Alpine CDA-9831R or Pioneer DEH-P7600MP

Amp:
    4 channel amp, 2 channels bridged for sub and other 2 channels for front speakers (can you do this with a 4 channel amp?) something along the lines of Crystal CAM114.4 or Alpine MRV-F340

Speakers (fronts only): anything good around the price of the Crystal CPE60S, Genesis Profile 16 or DLS PS6

Sub: 8" Crystal CMP8

Any recommendations or problems with that? I'm not sure whether i can use the 4 channel amp in that way or if i would need to have seperate amps for the sub and another for the door speakers. Point me in the right direction if there are other good alternatives for the components of similar or better quality by other brands for the same or less cost. Another question is will the single 8" be enough? i've read on here before that people have had a problem with the bass in the boot of the coupe but i've also read elsewhere than the Crystal is a powerful little chap and can shake cars even when slightly underamplified.
    Thanks for reading my essay and for the replies i'll get
    Col
    Ally wings, less " The Fast and the Furious" more "The Gay and the Gaudy"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one thing to think of is if you are gonne add a tft screen @ any point later on and want to keep the same head unit
    get a head unit whith an aux in
    this will enable u to play the sound direct to the head unit with no interferance
    "Why Can i not get this Dam Thing to Work aaaggg !"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    one thing to think of is if you are gonne add a tft screen @ any point later on and want to keep the same head unit
    get a head unit whith an aux in
    this will enable u to play the sound direct to the head unit with no interferance
    "Why Can i not get this Dam Thing to Work aaaggg !"

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    8" sub is no good tbh mate,

I run 6.5" sub's in my doors and even with those your still not overwhelmed, with the coupe having a rigid steel structure where the seats are, its a little hard to get bass to go throught.

have you thought about using a JL sub?

a 10" IB4 on the parcle shelf, would look great if done right and also sound good.

failing that get decent 12 in the boot and keep the skihatch open.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that's the stuff people get me thinking
    @cookie monster, i'm not really planning on getting a TFT screen at the moment but i think if i did i'd get a motorised all-in-one chappie to completely replace the standard head unit

@LED-man, yeah that's what i was afraid of, not owning a coupe at the moment i can't go poking around but i was thinking is the parcel shelf made out of that fibre/felt board stuff like the hatch? if so i could replace it with a frame the same shape of the shelf and stretch acoustic fabric over it making a free path for the sound to get into the passenger cabin. Saying that having a sub in the parcel shelf would sidestep the problem of a MDF box in the boot, i'd have to tint my rear windows so tealeaves can't see it. I have also had a quick look on the bassjunkies and caraudiodirect websites but can't find a 10" JL IB4 sub, any info on it?

thanks people, more of the same please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i reckon that u would get a more balanced sound out of a 10" sub than an 8".
    (8's are really punchy, and good for movies n stuff, 12s are much deeper and 15's are for super dark trembling drum and bass. 10's will give you a good compromise as the bass will be nice and tight but will still be able to drop lower than 8s. Personally I run a pair of 12s and listen to bassy dance and a bit of hard house.)

as for the use of the 4 channel amp, yes, u can usually us the front 2 channels to run compnents and the rear channels bridged (ie connect sub + to + of left channel and - of sub to - of right channel) for the sub.

other advice, i would choose a headunit that has plenty of digital signal processing built in. (lets you set crossover frequecies, so u can choose what frequecies go out of each output and to each amp). This means the whole system can be setup from the headunit nice and accuratly and its cheaper than getting a seperate eq unit.

finally, if i were you, i would use seperate amps for comonets and subs. There are several different classes of amp, class a,b and d. Basically class a and b are similar and are good for higher frequecies (not bass) and class d is for bass notes. a class d amp will not get as hot as a class a or b amp if they were asked to drive the same subs at the same level. I have a 2channel class a amp on my front comonents and a class d driving the 2 subs. u could always get the 4channel (which will be class a) and use that split as u suggested, then get a class d amp when u can afford it. Then upgrade the rears to coaxial and use the rear channels of the 4 channel to run them. (im going to get a 4channel and coaxials at the back sometime soon...)

just my thoughts mate! let us know what u finally decide and dont forget to get sum pics up when it's all done!!
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    certainly some food for thought there, thanks
    ok, so you guys have convinced me that it would make sense to get a 10" sub, with the exact mounting to be decided once i have my car and have poked around the rear parcel shelf

The next thing i have to ask is what head units have all this digital sound processing? i'd prefer to get pioneer or alpine based on their reputation for good quality audio.
    Also i think i'll also get the 2 seperate amps, but as a stop gap as B.A.D. says at the end of his post at first i'll just have the 4 channel amp running the sub and fronts, then later get a class d for the sub. Now people, what speakers and amp should i look at getting? (taking into account the price of the gear in my first post as a guide)

I know asking you about what components to get, the answers i get will be the prefrence of the individual, but at least it is a start, there just seems to be so much stuff out there and i'm not 100% sure if an item i'd look at will be any good or not
    thanks in advance again

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u want a good Digital Signal Processing head unit i can highly reccomend the Alpine 9815RB.
    Shop here
    piccy:

it retails at £500 on the high street but u can find it for about £350 in online shops. it's from their 2002 or 2003 range i think, so it has been superceded now, but it was the best one without a flip out screen when i bought it. Presumably the newer version of this has the same features, time correction, eq, bass boost, 3 5v preouts with individual control for crossovers (both frequency and slope). Only one thing i didnt like is that when u play mp3's, there is a little gap in the sound between them. (if ur playing mp3s that are ripped from a mix cd it's a bit annoying) Hopefuly they hav been able to do something about that in their latest HU's.. but im happy with mine and cant afford to upgrade right now - so ive not really looked into their latest line too much.

sorry i dont know what the latest version of mine is called, but im sure it's on this page somewhere:
    ALPINE PAGE

it will be the one that's about £350 online and £500 in shops!

HTH
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you want a decent sound quality Head unit, try and find a JVC 909rB, it lets you set the frequency up from 70hz, to 12khz. so you have pin point accuracy,

thats what i have, total car audio voted it the best headunit under £1000 in 2003.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks again chaps
    looking at the alpine stuff, it looks like the 9815RB has been replaced by the 9835R which is £430 in all the online places :shock: i think i'll probably go for the next one down in the range if i go for alpine which is the 9833R the cheapest i've seen it for is £320, the only thing it concedes to the 9835R is a s****y display with bells and whistles, which to be honest is nice but not essential (checked the features table in the back of the alpine range catalogue)

I'll certainly give the JVC unit a look too, i surfed around and it's £250 online which isn't bad, certainly cheaper than the Alpine, i'll have to give them both a listen and have a play in some shops before i decide.

thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast