Thread: Things to look for ?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Things to look for ?

Should be getting my first car soon, astra, yey !!!

What should i look for when going to view one ? any common faults or niggles i should look out for ?

Many thanks

Jonny

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What model/engine capacity are you looking at buying Jonny? There isnt many faults or niggles on the astra that cant be simply fixed. just check everything works and you should be ok.

I'd plumb for a 1.8,2.2 or even a turbo if its viable, as they have a five stud wheel pattern that have discs all round and are much easyer to get alloys for. I find four studs limmit your choices and elevates the price.

If your going for a 1.8 then the later ones have more power but I cant remeber what year they changed I'm affraid. Where as the 2.2 had timing chain problems until around mid 2001 when they beefed up the chain and lubrication nozzle, denoted by a black plastic rocker cover rather than the old aluminium one.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    uuum

Right its gonna be a 1400 16v LS 3 door

I would like a larger engine but at 17 its not really viable, its only till i am 19 and i can get on my dads trade insurance anyway

Also i have just started working for vauxhall so i can sort small problems but i wondered if there was any i should be aware of ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the 1.8 engine got a bit more power late 2002 up to 123bhp from 113bhp (ish)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok seeings as everyones talking about high power and i'm the only one that seems to understand the position johnny is in i'll put my two bobs worth in

1.4 16v Ls is a not bad motor if it's a Mk4 then check all the panels align right if not it's been in a smash or had a panel replaced (not properly)

check everything works and some 1.4 16v's came with heated mirrors make sure these work as they are costly to replace,

make sure the car has had a good service record and is well maintained Vauxhall expect the Timing belt to be changed at 60k so if it's done over that check the timing belts been done! if it hasnt tread carefully if that belt snaps you need a whole new Engine! If it hasnt been done and theres only an extra 5-10k on the clock there's no reason why you cant buy it and get the timing belt done straight away!!

hope thats of some use to you mate

oh and at 21 with 9 points on my license and after resitting my test after my license was revoked, a 1.4 16v will cost me £700 to insure fully comp thats with no NCB and just passed my test AGAIN!!
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate i know you're 17 an all but you can get insured on most cars for a reasonable price depending on where you live. I would really recommend you get atleast a 1.6 sXi or you will get very bored with it very quick. You have been asking about 19s and the like but 19s on a 1.4 would make the car very boring

Don't get me wrong with a decent kit and 19s lowered it would look good but i just don't see the point in starting with anything that low unless it's standard for a bit then you are trading it in for something bigger.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers H18OAB that was really helpful

^astra^ - i would like to get a 1.6 or larger but its going to be £900 to insure the 1400 and i dont think the 1600 will be much faster when the big wheels and 250kg (no exaggeration) or system go in the boot,

If i need to go fast then i will just use my dads caterham 7 or one of the other cars and the astra will only be about will i am 19 then its scooby time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Things to look for ?

heh 19 with a scooby gl with insurance mate unless its a shared policy.

unless it's a non-turbo but that would just be boring wouldn't it :P

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my mates 20 got 2 years no claims and he's running a Subaru Impreza WRX STI version 6 and it's costing him £1100 to insure fully comp

and he's had it a year
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But my dad owns a garage and i can be on a trade policy,

£400 a year with no NCB at 19, thats more like it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast