Thread: Front Brakes Sticking

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Front Brakes Sticking

Coming back from my mums this afternoon and noticed that the car wasn't pulling away very well. After about 8/9 miles i come to a stop and could smell a burning/rubbing smell.

Finally get home and had a look aroung the alloys and noticed that the front brake discs are red raw. It seems that taking a closer look the front brakes arent on full lock but are just touching enough to cause concern. Has this happened to anyone else before????

my car:

1.6 astra g
    no abs

thanks in advance all.

carl

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep happened to me........ found that the inner pad was sticking therefore nothing virtually left of it. While the outer pad had a good few thousand miles left on it. Changed the pads in the end
    .. 2.0 Dti 16v ..
    .. With a few mods ..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Front Brakes Sticking

just finished. The inner pad was sticking right enough. now need to get me some new pads. just sprayed the wd40 on the moving parts, shoogled it a bit and seemes to have cured it. wheni change the pads i'll get some photos together and post it on the "how to" forums.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Front Brakes Sticking

My front brakes started making all sorts of nasty noises the other week and after having stripped them down I found that they were completely gummed up and had virtually no grease / slip on them at all; they would barely move and I was surprised that they actually worked at all.

I suggest that you strip, clean and copper slip all the various parts (you may need to file some of the areas that the pads slide on the cradle) that are involved.

If your inner pad is sticking you may need to bear in mind that the piston is gummed up as well but thats another story.