Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

interior light upgrade

This may be one for autosparks!!!!

I have just raided my local scrappies and got this

http://www.imagehdd.com/view/108interior_light.jpg

it has the map lights fitted, only problem is that i have only 2 wires in the roof one grey and one red. the connections are as below

http://www.imagehdd.com/view/2968interior_light2.jpg

the two wire i have connect to the two middle connectors. As far as i know the red is a permanent live and the grey is an earth (also switch wire) can i just loop the live? which connector does it go to, the female spade connector or the very small male? where can i get an earth? there is a couple of hole above light can i just use a small self tapper with a lug on?

cheers

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Whats that out of mate.... a old caviler???

The map lights on them worked only when the ignition was on but for ease there isn't a problem with looping the red (permanent live) over and making your own earth above the light just like you have said. JUST BE CAREFULL WHERE YOU DRILL THE HOLE AS YOU DON'T WANT IT OUT YOUR ROOF SKIN :shock:
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mate,

got one out of a cav but it didnt work and this nicely tinted one is out of a 1998 vectra gls

dont need to drill a hole as there seems to be holes in what looks like a roof brace thingy, not sure how to describe it ops:

do you know which one (map light connectors) is the live and which is the earth?

the two connectors left are a very thin male spade and a large female spade (big woman!) ie the two outside ones. i dont wanna put this work in to wire it the wrong way round and end up blowing it!!!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The roof brace thingy i think is called "the canter rail" :? or that might just be down the side or just what the guys cutting the roofs out call it

Anyway I have no idea what wire needs to go where, in theory it's all just going to bulbs so there isn't a right and wrong way. Just make sure there's no circuitry in there
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers auto,
    checked and there is no circuitry in the vectra one but there is in the cav one, dunno what i will do with it, was gonna stick it in the corsavan

if you see a large spark coming from northern ireland you will know i wired it wrong!!!

once i get this done might to a 'how to' cuz these map lights are kinda handy!! shuts the missus up!!!! lol

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    My mates over in Ireland next week, i'll make sure he takes a fire extinguiser with him

Oh and thinking about it the cavalier one will have the delay built into it where as the vectra one will be built into the car like the standard one in your car

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is it possible to get a better pic (larger) of the conectors on of the new light?

The red must be a constant feed to the lights....

Therefore... If you were to splice the red before it conects with any light then loop it three ways and then conected it all back in teaory i think this will work....

Just a guess..... Don't take this as verbatum...

I think i read a post about this ages ago.... I will try searching for you to see if anyone else has done this!

Col
    02 Astra 1.6 16V SXI 5dr
    Scorpion cat back system, PVD panel filter, de-restricted and drilled out air box, Vectra piping
    Sony head unit with speakers, amp & sub to match, Chrome heater dials and plush car mats

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are different ways to wire this one - depends if there is any circuitry on the light.

The Red is the positive that comes from the battery, the grey is the -ve that is switched by the door switches. If you wire the other side of the switched maplight bulb to brown (negative) say behind the ciggy lighter or the A pillar earth, you can switch the map light on and off when the ignition is on.

Hope that makes sense.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had a good hunt around and it seems this is one mod that has alot of people confused as to how to do it.....

I think Adamduk has the best idea here... The only down side is i think you will have to play about withthe roof lining and the piller covers to do this.. something i would not feel safe to do!

Best of luck... if you manage it pm me and let me know how you got on... I fancy doing this to my sxi!

Col
    02 Astra 1.6 16V SXI 5dr
    Scorpion cat back system, PVD panel filter, de-restricted and drilled out air box, Vectra piping
    Sony head unit with speakers, amp & sub to match, Chrome heater dials and plush car mats

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Colin if you splice the red and loop it round all the lights will come on all the time i'f i'm reading this right :? there for still no map light

Yes as factory the map lights only work when the ignition is on but for ease you can just power them from the red live already up there.

This is of course if you have a light without any circuitry built into it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast