Thread: Exhaust rattling?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust rattling?

Hey peeps, bought and fitted a peco boxer stainless backbox about two weeks ago and it has started to rattle when idling and normal driving. It aint touching anything and is on all its rubber mounts. Anyone any ideas what it might be and should i contact peco to speak to them. gonna take it off tommorrow and have a look myself. Good thing is it does have a lifetime warranty.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good old Peco :roll:

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It probably just needs a quick tweak - slacken off the clamp and twist it around to get it to sit better, do up the clamp and test.

If that don't work then have a chat with Peco

Rosco83
    Hey, i have the same exhaust on my car, tho mine is only a 1.6 8v... guessing yours is an sxi by your name, anyway.... fitted it a couple of weeks ago and it stared to rattle the other night, my problem is although the exhaust fits perfectly!!!... the standard rubbers slide off as the exhaust moves while driving etc. I cant use smaller rubbers as the exhaust fits too well to put up higher. Is your exhaust flange fitting or sleave trype (clamp?) Mine is flange (2 bolts) and uses three hangers, one at front, near the join and two at the back. If the rubbers slip too far the exhaust rattles in places. they dont need to come all the way off for it to rattle but they do come off eventually. What me and a friend are doing tommorow is threading the ends of the metal hangers on the backbox and the car and using a washer & nut on each of them to stop the rubbers from slipping off the ends. That way theres now way of it moving, think that would help you too!
    Appart from that the exhaust sounds great, nice and deep

Hope thats helps you a bit mate

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines a flange fitting and the fit isnt the best in the world but then again it aint the worst. Actually took the exhaust off yesterday and sorted the problem, when i origionally fitted the exhaust i filled the gaps between the flanges with exhaust putty, turns out a big clump of solid putty had flaked off and was rattling along the pipe between the centre section and the backbox. Might give that a thought about threading the end of the hangers, it aint a bad idea.

Rosco83
    ahh... good old putty... if you put that together with the good old peco statement above it brings back nova/bigbore combo's lol.... nasty. Did you use the metal wire type gasket in between the flange join? shouldnt need putty. but a spot of grease doesnt go a miss. oh well... hope your rattle is gone mate