Thread: Pc Install Specs and Fitting - Rusty viewing needed!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pc Install Specs and Fitting - Rusty viewing needed!

Looking at getting the car pc very shortly, as in buying bits now and building over the next month before uni.

Firstly would a standard atx mobo fit into the glove box fine or am I really gonna have to get a mini itx cos I want some power not just some celeron rubbish or aria etc.

Rusty - would you be interested in helping for some dorrah, tyrone said you might

Airflow - cutting up my glovebox needed? Any way to attach the fan feeds to it for air?

Looked into this setup:

AMD Athlon XP2800 Retail / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / 512MB Corsair PC3200 Value Dual-Channel Kit - Bundle (BU-010-OK)
    £240

Build a custom case like Rusty out of wood.

Gfx: Radeon 9600 or similar ~ £50

What else do I need? Power inverter? Where from what power and cost?

Power supply I guess, any good small ones?

Sound wise should I get a good creative labs all singing all dancing card or a cheapo one, mixed opinions on this so far. My mate used a usb creative one for his and it sounded "fine".

Where should I buy the screen from, want a 7" touchscreen?

Any help would be great because aim is to have it in before I go back to uni (3rd Oct).

Cheers in advance.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    www.mp3car.com - if ya can get the screen off them the help they give ya is much better than the ebay buys and its tested first as the lilliput screens have a habit of being crud. You will also find the cables and bits already changed to decent 1's that wont break straight away (ribbon cables inside the screen)

Also they can help out a lot on the forum there with ideas and advise.

for power, also have a look on that site for something called an opus its a dc-dc power supply so bypasses the inverter. This helps to cut down on unwanted noise. Lots of strange ground loops and EMC problems tend to happen if you use an inverter.

Secondly, I would aim for not using on board sound as its another source of interference. For some reason the onboard sound never seems to have anything built in to stop the interference. A decent sound card helps or better still (seems to kill most intereference) is to use a USB soundcard. Check terratec for a decent soundcard or m-audio (but they tend to do mostly studio cards with 4000000 inputs)

OK now wiring is simple, just a case of pluggin the cables in where they should go, just like a normal home system except you'll want to hide them.

Graphics card, it depends what you want it to do. Sat nav dont need nothing special and neither does any of the media player software available...

Also check www.mediaengine.org for a proggy called media engine.
    Or there is mediacar - availble via mp3car.com and frodo player and a few others... best to try them all and decide on which is most functional for you.

And the case thingy, as long as you got all the components there, the case can be made from anything any shape/size/elasticity whatever... but an idea is to have a metal part for the motherboard mounting points and then ground the metal chassis to the car (cuts a lot of interference) - also ground the chassis of as many of the components as you can in this way, i.e. soundcard, the way they usually bolt onto the case, that metal braket bit, ground that too, or just make it screwed to the metal bit the motherboard is screwed to and use the common ground.

Harddrive mounting i still under debate but from personal experience, I found a firm mount (no strange suspension methods) and vertical is the best I've found.

Airflow, just think along the lines of your home pc. I got mine without a case, bolted the mainboard straight to the rear seats - I dont require any other fans except the processor fan and the 1 on the graphics card as the boot is so big and even with my amps and subs its cooler than the inside of your average computer case but if you build a case then a few blowers and good cold feed from the cabin so you dont just recirculate the warm air.

Not sure on the board fitting in the glovebox as i havn't tried but check the dimensions of 1 and measure your glovebox... dont forget to take into account the height of any pci/agp boards and you processor heatsink and fan (and have plenty of room above that too for airflow)

Dont try to use a normal CD drive whilst on the move as the slightest vibrations destroy both disk and drive (as i found out on my dvd burner)

Get either a slot load drive or a loptop stylie drive... Think Playstation.. The original 1 with the thing you had to push the disc onto (same thng required to stop the disc shifting)

Other than that, GPS reciever, type USB GPS on ebay plenty there.

And thats it, just get it done and get the pics up... also, things to think about are will you be going direct from soundcard to amps or through the headunit first ??

I went through an aux in on my alpine as its cleared up even more interference but rusty has gone straight to amps. I never had an interference problem since my setup got finished but rusty did and he's having to use an isolator to lose it. But thats up to you. You wont need a head unit with a carputer but they come in handy for quick playing of CD's when a mate is like.. can ya slap this on and radio etc.

Well I think thats a good start... rusty can add to this as he has gone a different route to me.

p.s. watch this space for elecy windows run off the comp and also carputer operated window tints (tint level controllable via touchscreen... shhhh)
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a motherboard and psu regulator you can buy if your interested...its a proper bo mobo, and is 800mhz, has 64mb sd ram and has onboard sound etc, all you then need is a HDD, PSU, and keyboard etc etc.

pm me if your interested.

Regards

Ryan

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    800mhz is a little slow mate, want something a little beefier if possible, dunno about the regulator yet. I'll get back to you if I need them.

Skuzzle mate that is an awesome guide, you should keep a copy and put it in a sticky somewhere. I'm gonna be running through the aux in on my headunit, but think the building of a custom case is gonna be tricky, rusty is bit of a pro i guess

I'll keep looking into it, thanks for the links.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'll have a proper read of this tomoz, but there's no way you're fitting a normal sized computer in the glovebox mate... it's much smaller than you think.
    My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think maybe a mini atx might fit but i'm really not too sure.
    Skuzzle - Powered by Badgerbyte Web & IT Services

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glove box...u cant even get a sheet of a4 paper in there!
    Ex Astra Coupe Driver
    Now: Audi A4 Cabriolet

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just using an old laptop for my carpc...
    much smaller

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    More costly, and probably harder to adapt the laptop idea but still means you can remove it