Thread: Traction Control Problem?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Traction Control Problem?

My astra is the first car i've driven with traction control and i've only been driving for about 2 years now. tonight was especially wet, raining heavily with huge puddles on the road, i was going through one puddle at 80 km/h on a straight and flat road, i felt the wheels have uneven power, my car slightly swirved to the other lane. And another time further up the road, i went through a smaller puddle and again felt uneven power going through the puddle n i wasnt flooring it or anything, just maintaining speed. i know this is the T/C but is it supposed to be acting like that? I mean going through a puddle on a straight, it shouldn't be pulling me off track now should it?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're aquaplaning traction control can only help so much, if at all, as your wheels aren't in full contact with the road. As there are differences in grip under each wheel the car will pull to one side or the other accordingly.

T/C is not a substitute for driving in an appropriate manner for the road conditions.

Mine does this a lot due to our weather conditions, and from my experience having T/C or not makes very little difference.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, that was one of the reasons I could think of at first; that for some reason both my tyres weren't in equal contact with the road, but I still think going through a puddle on a straight road shouldn't really cause the car to react like that, oh well at least I know now, sorta. I how how T/C works and all, just wondering if under those conditions it did what it should've done.

Cheers

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It awlays does it, IIRc its down to the depth of water, level of grip at the wheel, camber of the road and the actual surface quality - all have an effect of the resistance/grip (or lack or it) under the particular wheel and the imballance will try to slew the car one way or the other.

IMO the T/C flashes to let you know its happening .

We had a mega downpour at home yesterday and I was surprised how much the car moved with both T/C on or off. the poor little light was doing the business at any quite alot, but only where the water was quite deepish.

nice to hear it gets wet in Oz anyway

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What tyres are you using? I used to get this a bit on the standard 15" Alloys with standard tyres but now I am running 17"'s with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's I hardly get it at all

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im still on my stock 15" factory alloys ops: and i think the tyres have been changed. Funny, I dont remember the TC lights flashing... i might have to go out on another rainy night to try this again

Come to think of it, I was certain I was lookin for the T/C light to explain the situation, maybe I just missed it... It's not wet enough tonight :roll:

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    traction control is quite annoying sometimes, especially when you wanna boot out of a corner; the TC cuts in, the engine dies and you sort of 'lag' in the corner, then you straighten up and then 'WHACK' all hell breaks loose as you get jolted back into your seat.

But other than that it is a godsend, esp in the wet.

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do the switchable T/C mod then

A search will reveal all the gen you need to do this 30 minute mod