Thread: Info needed on painting please...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Info needed on painting please...

Would someone be able to give me like a step by step guide on to paint my door handles so that they look good and the paint wont flake off.

my current theory is to sand down to get the silicone off, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, laquer, laquer

is this right or getting there?

also halfords dont do ultra blue paint so how much will it cost from vxl or is their anywhere else i can get it cheaper? i know i need primer and laquer is their any special sort or colour primer i will need?

thanks for any help

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You got the right idea there Rob.

Sanding will remove silicone, but the idea behind it is to get a levle flat keyed surface for the paint to stick to. I use 400 grit wet/dry for initial plastic sanding. followed by plastic filler/primer (halfords is OK and 3 tins for the price of 2 at the mo)

Sand down again - I usually remove most of the filler/primer to ensure a good smooth surface. Then onto grey plastic primer, followed by a very light sanding with 1200 grit wet/dry.

Then several light coats of colour coat (light sand in between) and finally several coats of clear laquer to build up the depth of finish.

When throughly dry, t-cut (carefully) to level off the laquer and get a baby's bottom surface. (after a week give it a waxing).

Don't get Halfords colour paint as IMO the match is awful - VX is much better and IIRC it's about £6 for a two pack (colour and laquer). I've just redone my 'spare pair of handle and got both done with one pair of tins.

might be worth a trip to mega vaux for a set of handles then you can paint these at your leisure, without being handleless for a while - then swap over when they're done.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its true about Halfords colours, i bought a can of vauxhall glacier white and it was nothing like my cars colour. The colour of my car looked brighter than the spray colour.
    My mk3,117K, and the engine is still going strong
    shame about the car shell tho,lol.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey ffoeg i went there today and they wanted 10 quid for each handle and didnt have any in stock, went across the road to courtney i think it is, dont know if you know it, and got 2 handles for a fiver to practice on!!! how good is that, would have got the rub strips other handles and the side skirts but this astra had been set fire to on the engine bay and the whole front end was wasted, half the front skirts had melted as had the rub strips and front handles, but i think i saved myself a lot of money by checking out the other place, i just have to keep checking them now and again to see if they get any other mark 4s in, i'd rather do that then pay 10 quid for one at the moment :shock:

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and also where is the best place to do this? i was thinking either my cellar or outside by am not sure??? :roll: :?:

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, I know the other place -IIRC it's called Pheonix (just down Bessel Lane), and there's another one next door, just a bit further down. I usually go to the other one first as they let you walk around and help yourself, then I try MegaVaux.
    I never go to Phoenix, cos my old managing director works there now - their firm went bust and they got a job in a scrap yard (serves em right cos they owe me three months money that I'll never get)

Cellar would be the best place, as there'll be less draughts/dust floating about - if you do it outside you'll get the bits covered in flies and other assorted debris/shoite.

I usually dampen the floor a wee bit to keep the dust down.

Only prob with the cellar is that you'll probably stink the house out :roll: Watch the fumes in an enclosed space as well :shock:

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol yeah i will be sure to do that

and you said that the paint will be around 6 quid from vxl dealers?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just ordered some myself - £6.40ish

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    okay so i accidentily bought filler primer instead of plastic filler primer will this be okay?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Info needed on painting please...

Quote Originally Posted by polarbert
    sand down to get the silicone off
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Sanding will remove silicone
    Not every time guys, you need to flash off the surface before painting with thinners, to ensure any oil or silicone is gone. Also, if you've sanded the paint while it had silicones on it, it will be air born, so try and spray in a different area to prep OR flash off the paint before sanding. This is especially important when using 1K product, as it can be really sensitive to silicones and dust nibs.

If you need to go down to bare metals, try and use an etch primer (like Upol #8, which comes in spray cans) as it will be more harder wearing and less prone to chipping