Thread: Water pump q's

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Water pump q's

How can you tell if the water pump is on its way out, what actually happens when one fails and how much are they from Vauxhall (I know the motor factor ones are about £15).

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Erm... It could be doing one of many things really.

Leaking water
    Damaged/Eroded impellar
    Bearing failure

All lead to poor (if not total loss) of coolant flow as their is nothing to circulate to coolant around the cooling system. This then leads to you cooking your engine which then in turn leads to your bank manager looking rather upset as you then need to spend a pretty penny or three on a huge repair bill that you'll need to lube up for :shock:

I don't know how much they are from Vauxhall but if you're thinking of getting it replaced, get it done by someone who know's what they're on with. IIRC the water pump is driven off of the cam belt and if that's not fitted properly after replacing the pump, the coolant problem will be the least of your worries.

If you want to know if your pump is ok simply run the engine and remove the head tank/resevoir cap. You should see a nice steady flow of coolant returning to the header tank/resevoir which will increase (Pressure wise) when you rev the car slightly.

Mick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers mate

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Water pump q's

i've heard alot about these water pumps not lasting that long on the astra coupe so i went down to my local halfords store and got some water pump lubricant for a couple of quid just to be on the save side,good investment if you ask me.