Thread: Accident without insurance

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Accident without insurance

I've been thinking about this for a while. If someone in a car has an accident with you then there's insurance companies to take care of things. But what happens if someone who doesn't have insurance? What happens in that case? Would the money come out of the person's own pocket?

What about the situation when someone who doesn't have insurance and infact doesn't even drive but accidentally rams a shopping trolley into your car while in the car park? What happens in that case?

I hope I never get caught in that situation but on the off chance, it would be nice to know what I'd have to do. I haven't got a clue at the moment. TIA

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you would have to claim through the courts for an uninsured driving hitting your car, or just bite the bullet and claim through your own.

As for trolleys, again, similar.

Not good in any case, trying to prove it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The trolley situation, I think you are screwed and would have to claim off your own insurance, especially as most people would probably not even say anything

If an uninsured driver hits your car, and you are lucky enough to be inside, unlucky in some cases, then there is a pool fund to take car of this IIRC.

I think this fund is estimated to cost law abiding insured people on average £60 a year extra on their premiums.........Nice!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This happened to my dad a while back. He was hit by an uninsured driver. Had to claim on his own insurance as the guy had nicked the van that hit him. Polove arrested the guy but that was it.

Dont know about the trolley thing.
    im bored !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the trolley thing is just like if someone vandalises ur car then legs it, unless you can catch who dunnit and prove it, then charge them. you have pay yourself to fix it or claim thru ur own insurance.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamSXi
    the trolley thing is just like if someone vandalises ur car then legs it, unless you can catch who dunnit and prove it, then charge them. you have pay yourself to fix it or claim thru ur own insurance.
    I totally understand that. If someone does it when you are not there but lets say they did it while you were driving. They realise they did it but refuse to give any details for it. They don't have any motor insurance. What can you do in this case?

I guess what I'm saying is, if someone has damaged your car, they don't drive or have any motor insurance and refuse to admit anything. What can you do?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another situation would be. You are driving along a street with parked up cars on both sides. Someone opens the door wide open without looking and you take off their door while mangling up your front end of the car. The owner of the car was not in the car and the person coming out of the car was simply a passenger who is a friend of the owner of the car. They don't drive or have their own motor insurance. What happens in this case? Seems unfair for the cost to lie on the owner of the car as it wasn't their fault but seems unfair that the cost to lie on you as someone opened a car door on you.
    Rolling Road - Northampton Motorsport 19/02/05

Completely standard: 202.5 bhp, 214 lb ft.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You go to the MIB motors insurance beuro every time you take uinsurance a percentage goes to them for such cases ask neil turbo he works for a insurance company
    Mach 1 raceing (07947371772)
    http://www.freewebs.com/mkii_astra_t...johnhsmods.htm
    Take a look before you even think about it 475 bhp a ton OH YE!
    http://imagebay.org/users/1669/14774.jpg

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH
    You go to the MIB motors insurance beuro every time you take uinsurance a percentage goes to them for such cases ask neil turbo he works for a insurance company
    Thats what my mate did when someone smashed into his car whilst he was driving and the other party did a runner. They done about £1500 of damage when he went to the MIB all he got was payment for treatment for his whiplash, so don't guarantee the MIB will pay out.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they should have done cause they cover all the layout costs aswell im at the moment going through this with the girlfriend and her corsa, the other driver was not insured but we managed to keep him at the scene of tha accident until the police got there, and they still did not arrest him! bloody pigs!(annoys the hell out of me) tell your insurance about it and they get in contact with their solicitors who in turn get in contact with you and then it goes throught the whole legal process but be warned this may take a long time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast