Thread: New legislation on Road Angels/Snoopers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New legislation on Road Angels/Snoopers

Devices which detect speed cameras are to be banned, the Government has revealed.

The Department for Transport said it would seek to ban the dashboard devices as soon as possible because of fears motorists were using them to break speed limits without being caught.

Thousands of drivers have installed the detectors after a huge rise in the number of speed camera penalties.

They have already been banned in many European countries including France and Ireland.

A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the problem and as soon as a legislative opportunity becomes available we will seek to make these devices illegal."

Road safety groups welcomed the announcement. Rob Gifford of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety told The Times: "This is a long overdue closing of a legal loophole.

"Speed camera detectors should not be needed by law-abiding drivers."

Transport minister David Jamieson yesterday said he was happy for people to know where the cameras were. But he did not want information to be passed on revealing whether or not they were switched on.

He told a Commons committee: "If there is a map showing where they are, then I think that's a good idea, because people will then be very careful in that area."

Status
    Prince Eikichi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IMHO, i think it's normal
    :|

soon they'll have radars onboard unmarked cars & on choppers in the sky... like in france

Don't blame me if I say stoopid things or don't understand... I'm half French, half Pinoy lol

That's no fun being engaged to a Princess... she’s ALWAYS RIGHT & you're always wrong lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New legislation on Road Angels/Snoopers

Quote Originally Posted by m4nd
    Devices which detect speed cameras are to be banned, the Government has revealed.

The Department for Transport said it would seek to ban the dashboard devices as soon as possible because of fears motorists were using them to break speed limits without being caught."
    Problem Solved put them on your passenger seat
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what about a stealth install??
    Ex Astra Coupe Driver
    Now: Audi A4 Cabriolet

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What aload of crap !

How the hell can they say yes you can see the maps, but were not going to tell you if they are active or not !

AND how are they going to tell if you have one of these installed ?? Stop everyone and check ?

Status
    Prince Eikichi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LN, there're some detector of "radar detector" out there

Don't blame me if I say stoopid things or don't understand... I'm half French, half Pinoy lol

That's no fun being engaged to a Princess... she’s ALWAYS RIGHT & you're always wrong lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    eikichi - you're sort of right....

but sort of wrong.

older radar detectors (and cheaper ones) could indeed be easilly detected, but the newer ones are much much harder.... even with top notch equipment you would be lucky to pick it up from outside the car.

gps devices without radar detection are undetectable/impossible to distinguish from normal GPS, and the government would have a hard time arguing for these to be banned since "they don't mind people knowing where the cameras are"

to be honest i think it's a very bad move for a government near election time who has already pissed off the motorist by the religous, near zealous, speed enforcement campaign and failure to act on petrol prices.... just adds to the list of reasons why not to vote for them next time around for some people.

it also just re-inforces the image that cameras are a cash raising device - if people are speeding through a camera then they get caught, but that doesn't help the fact they were speeding at that time does it? if someone has a detector and slows down for the camera the supposed "aim" has been acheived (ie the motorist slowed down!!!!) but alas no fine and no money.... shame....

My car - Rusty Custom Creations Inc....

The only natural pilots are born with feathers.... except me.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree that a device warning you of an accident black spot should not be illegal, after all, cameras are only sited at black spots aren't they my locater, Origin b2 knows where the sites are and gives me sufficient warning, (user selectable) of the black spot allowing me to check and possibly adjust my speed accordingly

it also flags up the speed limit, lets face it, its not always obvious or visble from road signs.

Why would the government want to ban the use of a device that would warn a driver of a iminent black spot far earlier than someone not using one?? I'll tell you why, as previously mentioned they don't want their considerable revenue to be jeopardised :x

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right, so if the above is true - I want to buy one before they get banned (and harder to get hold of!)

Anyone got a reccomendation, or a link to some reviews.
    I think the New Road Angel is top of my list at the min..
    http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk

Oh yeah, and http://www.pepipoo.com/ tends to have plenty of info.

Im gonna buy one next week, so I'd appriecieate your advice.
    Cheers
    B.A.D.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: just found this...
    http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/road...ison-chart.htm
    Not read it all yet, but looks promising...
    B.A.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast