Thread: Show Me Your Wires!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Show Me Your Wires!!

Its slowly making its way towards pay day and hopefully some speakers etc, but firstly I wanna get the wires in and take my time to do them properly. I'm not sure exactly what wires to run where really. Heres an example of how I thought....

The RCA's are running from headunit to amp down the middle, is that correct. The power live is running down the drivers side with the remote wire, or should that go with the RCA,s to make it easier?

How do I get wire back up to the speakers? Both sets round the passenger side? One up each side? Or totally away from rcas and power? ARGH.

Also is this wire suitable for a heavy duty install....

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=1853

or is this better....

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=1823 ??

If anyone could tell me how much length I would need and if its worth buying wire so costly please shout

Also if you could post your own setups would be great. I'm being a pain but wanna get it spot on this time.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the first cable looks more than capable

power cable route is fine

i would run the speaker cables down the passager side together as other wise one may pick up interferance for the power cable

RCAs down the middle is great but i dont see why the RCAs cant go down the passager side aswell i think they will be fine run with the speaker cables!

as for lenghts i got 5meters of power cable but i took it in from through the passager side so ita s shorter distance so i would go for 6 to be on the safe side

RCA,s 5meters should be enough

speaker cables go for 10-12meters

as for cable costs you get what you pay for so its always best to spend a bit more on the cables to get good quality!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    just had another look at your diagram. The speackers runing directly from the HU are these the standard speakers and cables or are you planing on upgrading them too if so double the amount of speaker cable that i have just suggested!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are just running as back fill so will be running in the original loom as standard etc. Is it 12 metres of speaker wire in total or each you think? I'll have to try and measure it up a little bit but 6 metres each should be ample. Thought running rcas would have less interference thats all

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    12metre total should be fine but remember as the drivers side cable will go down the passager side then back across the car it will need to be longer than the other speacker cable 5meters and 7meters for example

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Show Me Your Wires!!

out of curiousity, wot gear u planning on running?
    Astra G 1.6 16v SXi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got Clarion DXZ948RMP touch screen headunit in atm

Then hopefully running CDT audio Eurosports from a Sinfoni 90.2 amp

Then unsure so far about sub and amp but sinfoni amp again if first one is good running a 12" sub.

Then gonna have an in dash touchscreen and a small form factor pc running it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've gone a bit further than most with the wiring...

I had this drawn up when I was preparing to move my system from my old car to the new astra. Like you, I wanted to do it RIGHT!

The pic shows how I've got things wired, but not exactly the physical layout.

Physically I run all my wires down the center, RCA's one side of the handbrake and power/remote the other. There are no speaker wires for me to run here as the sony amp is powering focal front components, and the sony amp is located in the passenger footwell.

There is some non-hifi wiring there too, since I have neons in the front footwell, with a 3 position switch: off/on/'come on with interior light' which means that it will all light up when you unlock the car with the remote central locking! Sweet as! Also got a pair of fans to cool the sony amp, these are driven off a relay that switches when the remote turn on signal to the sony amp goes live.

I've also got the whole thing run thru a 'kill switch' that shuts off all the neons, and interupts the remote turn on lead from the headunit to the amps. Flick the switch down and all the lights go out and amps turn off! (sound still comes from std rear speakers that are running straight from the head unit) I use this when comming into a car park, since I dont want to advertise what I've got when I park up!

Oh yeah, one final addition I can think of.. Ive added a 'remote headlamp flasher' Utterly pointless - but my excuse is that the bits were cheap in maplin - and i do like to see ppls faces when an empty car starts flashing its lights at them in a car park!!
    B.A.D.