Thread: Filter maintenance

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Filter maintenance

I recently de-restricted the air box and fitted a Courtenay panel filter and was just wondering if these replacement filters need any maintenance? This one came with a spray can of oil so I gave it a few very light coats before fitting it (remembered someone saying something about not soaking them with the stuff), but there weren't any instructions included so does anyone know if/when you should give it another spray?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i do hope you left it for a little while to dry before fitting it to your car, i had the K&N 57i filter (swapped it back for my de-restricted air-box) and it said to lightly oil it after cleaning it and let it dry out completely before fittnig it back on so i would imagine that the panel filters are the same, all you have to do is lightly spray it until the whole filter is covered then you should be able to see where it is drying out so just spray it evenly i reckon just the one coat would be ok as you dont want to soak the thing cos it wont dry out properly i think it usually takes about 45 mins to dry out completely but i left mine for an hour just to be sure

hope this helps you out a bit.

Gazza...........

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah it was only a light coating, didn't soak it. I didn't leave it to dry for all that long, but it was a very hot day...

I presumed you'd have to re-oil it after cleaning, but I'm not sure how often you should clean it out?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think you have to clean them about every 20000 miles with the proper cleaning stuff, il have a look when i 2moro for the instructions that came with my K&N and try and scan them then i'l email them to you if ya want m8

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did mine just before it going in for the service, so every year or 12,000 miles, whatever the schedule is. Clean it, then re-oil it and away you go again

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh right, so not that often then. Cheers for that. Only question remaining is what's this proper cleaning stuff?! Got bugger all info with mine :roll:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    you buy a cleaning pack from cars shops ie hal-frauds for £10 just clean it let it dry over nite then oil the filter then stick in the airbox job done i would use a paper air filter in the air box so you can still use the car as it dose take a bit of time on the k&n filters oil traps the dirt you just wash the oil an dirt off the filter thats all you will get all the info with the cleaning kit hope that helps have fun doing this

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers everyone for that

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted