Thread: SiG HOW TO (FOR BEGINNERS) New tutorial added!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SiG HOW TO (FOR BEGINNERS) New tutorial added!

At last i have managed to get my buttock into gear and do a 'how to' for signatures. I am

going to start off at the begining and show you step by step exactly what you need to know

to make your very own sig. (Please note that this tutorial is done using photoshop)

1. First of all you need a copy of photoshop (the more recent the better) now open it up

and we shall start.

2. Now like every artist you need to start off with a blank canvass like so

This is where you draw your sig. make it around 400px width by 75px hight

3. Now im going to introduce to you the toolbar. Please note that im not going to go into

detail regarding all the tools cos you won't need em all just yet. Here is what it looks like,

like.

4. Now lets make a start on your sig. First of all we are going to want to make a background for you signature and on this occassion we are going to use the gradient tool You will find this on the tool bar. If however you see a paint bucket Left click on this and it will give you the option for the gradiant tool. Now for future refrence i shall briefly explain the paint bucket tool, all that does is fill an area with a solid colour, whereas the gradient tool fills and area with 2 colours merged together.

Now we will start the sig.

Select your gradiant tool then go to the top left of your screen and you will see some options for your gradient tool like so..

The section that is circled in red is the bit we need to go to select that and it will take you to this screen..

(notice as i am using low quality gifs the gradiants can look messed up but im being as helpfull to the 56kers as i can be)
    Now go to the big bar were you choose your colours using the 2 sections selected in red here..

Now what we want to do is change the colour so first off click the first selected point and a colour chart will come up like so...

Now the section that is selected in red is the bit we are going to change.
    In that bar I want you to type 9AB8C9 this will be your first colour. Now repeat the process for the second point except this time choose the colour to C5D5E4 Now right above this selected point there is another white coloured point like this

In this image the one i mean is selected, I want you to double click this until and option called OPACITY appears and i want you to set that to 100%.

Now go back to your canvass with the gradiant tool selected and click from the bottom of your canvass hold the SHIFT key and drag the cursor up to the top of your canvass and then let go. LIKE THIS>

(As i said earlier these pics wont show the gradiant correctly as im using small pixel quality gifs)

Now You have your background colour ready nect we will move onto sig content.

5. Now your content can be whatever the hell you want it to be but today im going to keep it simple for all you beginers who will use this tutorial.
    All im going to do is place in a basic image use some layer styles and add some text so here goes.
    We will start off with the canvass we have just coloured in with the bluey grey gradiant now we will add our image. Now just for the tutorial sakes im going to use a basic image like this

Now everyone should have this image on their Pc if they use a recent version of windows. yes you guessed it its the winter image from your sample pictures folder. Now simply drag that image over onto your canvass and it will look like this

Now i bet your thinking Utter ******* has f U cked this up as i can't see my background any more, but ahhhhhhhh touché what ive done is ive given you a new layer situated here

Now just not to confuse things we can name our layers by simply clicking on layer one and renaming it Background and clicking on layer 2 and renaming it Winter image.

Now come the funky part

at the top of the layers palette you will see a drop down menu that says NORMAL select that and change it to SCREEN, and nect to that you will see your OPACITY for that layer, I want you to put that to 50%.

And there we have a slightly cool background with a layered image on it.
    (As i have already mentioned this if for tutorial purposes only and you can you whatever image you want cars, dogs, cats ect. And if you are getting really good you can start selecting certain images from pics and putting them on but we will hit on that another time as this is taking bloody hours!

6. Now we shall put a little text in for this part we need the text tool and we will choose the best spot to use it.
    So once you have found where you want your text to go Make one left click in that area and a blinking cursor will appear, Now simply type in your text (This can be whatever the hell you want it to be for tut purposes im going to do my name and im going to use a font called magnum)
    Now to change your fonts you need to look at the top of your screen where wyou will see this>

Here you are able to change your font your font size, your font colour and your font style It is very helpfull.
    Now just type in your text and you will have somthing like this>

Now you have your basic sig and you can do some of the basics but because now you have a small incling of how photoshop works you can experiment trying different things.

Here is my final result after a bit of messing about

This is the first of many tutorials if you have anything you are finding difficult in photoshop PM me with it and i shall do a tutorial with the result!

Ive been me and youve been great
    -.. . - . -.-. - .. ...- . / -- --- .-. ... . / .. ... / -.. . .- -.. ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now i appologise if spelling is gash and i know its a bit of a read but i have went semi in depth to begginer graphics and everything is basic but it does give a proffesional finish and i hope it teaches you a bit more about photoshop

if you need any help with this tutorial PM me and i will give as much advice as i can

I can also give advice on pretty much most of the the advanced sections of photoshop.

Happy sigging

PS can this be made a sticky as it will help lots of people and it took me over an hour! PLease and thankyou

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This little tutorial will show you exactly what everything does in photoshop to help you with your sig and what you can REALLY do.

here is your toolbar again>

First I will cover the selection tools:

:This is the standard selection tool. Simple click from one point to another point on the image and you have a rectangular selection.

:This is an ellipse selection tool. With this you can make a circular selection on your image.

:This tool will give you a selection which only covers one pixel going horizontal. Great for putting a nice stroke effect.

:Same as above, but this pixel selection will only go vertical.

Tip: Now if you hold shift then click you will add a selection to a already existing selection.
    Tip: Now if you press alt then click, you will subtract from an existing selection.
    Tip: If you hold your mouse clicker while in a selection, press your spacebar to move the selection as a whole to another part of an image. Helpful if you messed up.
    ( cannot be applied to the vertical / horizontal selection tool )
    Tip: While holding your clicker in while doing a selection, press and hold shift, and it will give your selection matching height and width lengths. So say you want a 300px height and 300px width selection, then hold your shift and you got it. ( cannot be applied to the vertical / horizontal selection tool )

Now for your Lasso selection tools. This tool gives you more control over your selection needs.

:Simply click and run it around something you want to be in your selection and you got it. You could also zoom in quite abit and if you have a steady hand, you can get a nice selection. Finish the selection by clicking on the first click, or simply double-click for a faster selection.

:Fun tool, let's say you have an image inside an image. But you don't have a steady hand to use a regular marquee tool. Well, with some adjustments, you can lasso the image and the magnectic lasso will stick to the edges of the image you want. Give it a shot, you will understand.

:Click once, then move your clicker around then click again and you got a straight line. Keep clicking and eventually click on your very first click. You got a polygonal shaped selection.

Tip: Now if you hold shift then click you will add a selection to a already existing selection.
    Tip: Now if you press alt then click, you will subtract from an existing selection.

The crop tool:

:This is like the selection tool, but can only do a rectangular crop. When you made a selection, press enter and it will make that current selection into a new image. It will discard all the other parts of the image outside the selection.

The Magic wand tool:

:Adjust the tolerance and you can get this tool to select certain colors only in the image. I usually use it to select all the white space and delete to make my main image more useful in other images.

The slice tools, this tool helps develop images to be ready for ImageReady or to slice them up to be prepared in website layouts:

:I recommend that you go to View -> Snap so that your slicing will not overlay making your tables and layers straight and clean. Well then, start slicing, and you can chop your image into handy layouts. Right click on a slice to adjust the settings, such as linking, making it into an iframe or such and such.

:This tool simply selects a slice, double click to open up the settings and adjust them to your needs.

Now for the more advanced tools, let's begin with the patch tools:

:Like a selection tool, just select an area. Now at the top you will see the 'Use Pattern' button. Find a particular pattern you like and press 'Use Pattern.' It will fill that selection with that pattern.

Heal tool:

:Say you got a face that you would wish to spruce up by getting rid of flaws such as pimples, rashes, or hairy ends. Well with this tool, hold Alt and click on a nice part of the skin. Let go off Alt and click on a pimple or flaw and brush over it. The image will be replaced with the nice part of the skin. It will automatically merge with the face, nice and smudged. Looks good, I made myself look like a fine beast with this.

Brush tool:

:This tool brings the fun. If you have just installed PhotoShop, you probaly only have default brushes. Still, you can mess with them and make your own brushes and make awesome images. Go to Window -> Brushes for more control over your brush tool. Change your opacity for a more softer touch.

Pencil tool:

:This tool is great for making pixel artwork. I use it generally to edit smudges or edges in my layouts. I recommend being zoomed in big style for more easier doodling. This tool is for somewhat the more skilled PhotoShop user.

The stamp or clone tools:

:Like the healing tool, press alt and click on an area of your image. Then click elsewhere on your image and you have a cloned image but in the shape of the brush you have. Mess with the Window -> Brushes to adjust the shape of the brushes.

:Just like your brush tool, you can adjust the shape of the brushes. However the fill of the brushes is not a color but a pattern. Adjust the pattern and you change the filling.

History Brushes:

:The art history brush tool lets you paint with stylized strokes, using the source data from a specified history state or snapshot. By experimenting with different paint style, size, and tolerance options, you can simulate the texture of painting with different colors and artistic styles.

:This works with your history palette. It erases the most recent action you have done to your image. Say your filtered your whole image, you can use this tool to erase some parts of the image that was affected by the filter.

Eraser tools:

:The eraser tool changes pixels in the image as you drag through them. If you're working in the background or in a layer with transparency locked, the pixels change to the background color; otherwise, the pixels are erased to transparency. There are 3 forms of the erasor: brush, block, or pencil sized / shaped.

:When you click in a layer with the magic eraser tool, the tool automatically changes all similar pixels. If you're working in the background, or in a layer with locked transparency, the pixels change to the background color; otherwise, the pixels are erased to transparency. You can choose to erase contiguous pixels only or all similar pixels on the current layer.

:The background eraser tool lets you erase pixels on a layer to transparency as you drag; this allows you to erase the background while maintaining the edges of an object in the foreground. By specifying different sampling and tolerance options, you can control the range of the transparency and the sharpness of the boundaries.

Fill tools:

:The gradient tool creates a gradual blend between multiple colors. You can choose from preset gradient fills or create your own. While dragging across the image, press shift and the gradient will fill in any 45 degree angle. But of course we already know this as we have used it already

:The paint bucket tool fills adjacent pixels that are similar in color value to the pixels you click. It basically fills an entire with one color. You can also use a pattern to fill an image. If you adjust the tolerance, it will only fill pixels that are similar in color.

Touch up tools (no lads it wasnt a request):

:The blur tool softens hard edges or areas in an image to reduce detail.

:The sharpen tool focuses soft edges to increase clarity or focus.

:The smudge tool simulates the actions of dragging a finger through wet paint. The tool picks up color where the stroke begins and pushes it in the direction you drag. You can modify the brush shape and size and just click and drag.

Tip: You can select 'Use All Layers' so that these retouching tools can retouch each and every image.
    Tip: Take note that their is quick blur and quick sharpen in your Filters tab.

Tone and Saturate tools:

:This tool darkens areas that are too light. Used to increase the exposure to darken areas on a image. You can adjust the range to specify certain areas to darken.

:This tool holds back light to lighten an area on the image. This gives a nice lighten to certain areas of your image. You can adjust the range to specify certain areas to lighten.

:The sponge tool subtly changes the color saturation of an area. In Grayscale mode, the tool increases or decreases contrast by moving gray levels away from or toward the middle gray. Say you got a bright red and it's bah with your image, grab this tool and it will take out the red-ness and give it a more subtle shade of red.

Tip: Be sure to take advantage of your Hue and Saturation, Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, and Auto Color to quickly edit the levels or color and shade in an image.

Type tools:

:Select this tool and click on your image. Now start typing. Fantastic, you now have some type, now you can edit and adjust the font, size and anti-aliasing methods. The anti-aliasing include smooth, crisp, strong, smooth and of course none. These are like the bold and sharpness adjustment of your font. When possible you can adjust the italics, boldness and such with the tab next to the font. Clever eh.

Click on the clicker () to exit the edit mode.

:Just the same as above, but the font goes downwards.

,:These are just like the above, but when you commit the edits and stuff, it is a selection. You can then fill it with anything, or use it to erase a nice font shape into your image. Good effect!

Misc. Tools:

Layout selector:

:Mess with these tabs and it will give you a variety of looks. The first is your standard look. The second tab gives you major maximize of everything. And the last one mades the background all black, yet eliminates your major options such as filters and such.

Mask tool and standard:

, :These let you switch back between mask and no mask mode. In mask mode () you can use the gradients, brushes ( MUST BE BLACK ) and such to make a selection. The selection will appear red in this mode, exit mask mode ( ) and your selection will appear as the familar selection grid.

Image ready:

:This tranfers your current project(s) automatically to ImageReady for final touches. I wouldn't recommend it for slow-ish computers.

»» For more detailed help on your PhotoShop help, press F1 and it will open up a somewhat detailed manual. Very helpful and has step by step help with tools.

Now i will add that this tut is for beginners I am not going to go into the pen tool the path selection tool, the shapes tool, eye droppertool, hand tool, notes tool and zoom tool (zoom tool is very basic)

once people have started requesting for them i will give detailed tutorials!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    flamin eck , well done son :shock:
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great stuff....

Pat on the back there son
    There are two great teams in Liverpool.....Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves..........

Bill Shankley

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    Paul you'll have to do something with regards with the pictures or lack of
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no offence paul but it's kinda hard to follow that without pictures mate
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ken mate, i'll have it sorted asap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: SiG HOW TO (FOR BEGINNERS) New tutorial added!

Right first off I havent had time to do these pics again because im doing a LOT!! of work just now. But if anyone has any problems withought the pics please give me a shout.

My msn e-mail is pauls_in_funktown@hotmail.com

i will probably be there

sorry for any inconviniance