Thread: Which Speakers?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which Speakers?

Gonna need some new speakers for my front doors as thats the next step in my overall build. I'm gonna wanna amp them, and my current amp puts out 75W RMS, might upgrade it but that should be plenty. What size speakers are in the front of a 53 plate Astra Hatch 3dr? I thought it was 6.5", but my old corsa had 5.25 so I really dunno!

I was looking into focal speakers, polyglass range etc but heard they come up quite bright and are a bit harsh. I like a smoother sound but want it to get up there for the dance and trance tunes if needed. I'm much more into sound quality than volume but still want kick.

I've got between 300-400, could wait a bit longer if something was THAT much better. What would you all recommend?

I'm gonna do the doors in a dynamat extreme door kit, just one is enough I take it as my original dynamat wasnt that good over time.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the fronts are 6.5" mate, but you will need adaptors to get em in, you will see what i mean when ya take the old ones out, you will also get 6.5" in the rear with no adaptors but you will need to drill one hole, hope that helps
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Markja, Can you put 6.5" in the read of a 5 door???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    No, but you should be able to fit 5's with an MDF mounting ring.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whitty i dont see why not like i said you will probably need to drill one extra holeif ya got a spare afternoon take the front one out and line it up 2 holes should be perfect IIRC the top and bottom right are the ones that line up the bottom left needs drilling
    YOUR FRIENDLY WINDSCREEN MAN

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Still stuck on this

Whats the mounting depth?

Any speakers ideas yet?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster

Any speakers ideas yet?
    try to get basil to see this he will give ya a great list of superb speakers.

How much you got to spend make a big difference though.
    Cant Think of Anything Funny To Say

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interested in something called CDT Eurosports been recommended but cant find a UK supplier or price, id imagine about £500. Would pay that though if they are really really good.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    CDt Eurosports are £750 and are IMHO the finest car speakers bar Rainbows top of the line speakers @ 5000 Euro. www.caraudiodirect.com and www.mcs-direct.com sell these, but If you cannot extend to these then the CDT HD series are brilliant as well. Add the soundupfront tweeter (on top of the tweeter)to this and you will be swaring that the singer is on your bonnet, wispering sweet nothings. But a word of warning these speakers deserve top notch amplification, do not even think about them if your amps are not up to it. A further note of warning bad recordings are revealed with bone jarring clarity(the source headunit is important in this and the Clarion is deffo up to the job) as is detail, so running I would recommend some form of equalization.

Other than this there are a number of other excellent brands out there. Which you choose would be up to your musical tastes (not music that you listen to, but do you like the sound neutral, Bassy,or tonally slightly bright). If I get a chance I will put a list up for you but otherwise search the forum for a post I did a while back where I recommended loads of different brands, breaking them down by the above catagories.

Remember that your amps must be up to the job if the speakers in this price range are to sound anywhere near there best.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To start off with I am running of a Phoenix Gold 4 channel 75WRMS per channel amp, this will change after a small amount of time to a Sinfoni 90.2, which will power the speakers and then another Sinfoni amp for 1 or 2 subs when I get to that stage. I'm doing it in stages but trying to do it really well.

Could you suggest a speaker cable that would be upto the job also please and an amp wiring kit that I can use with my old amp but will be able to easily handle the sinfoni amp, as can buy the cable and dynamat now while still deciding speakers.

Cant afford 750, and couldnt see 6.5 inch speakers by CDT on CAD

I'm a being a fool again lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast