Thread: Custom Sub-Box...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Custom Sub-Box...

Recently I made a fibreglass sub box for my Astra G, VERY similar to this one:

Its not quite finished, I just need to do a layer of stopper to get rid of the tiny pinholes, then get it sprayed...

What do you reccon it'll be worth if i sell it on? (only fits an Astra) - I'm planning on doing a full boot build now.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    no idea on what the cost woulw be but bearing in mind a normal one will cost aroun £60 from halfords???

Pics would be nice when its done
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quite nice, good job.

Does it have enough volume for the sub ?, looks quite small.

Auto Accoustics sell their stealth boxes for £150.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Auto Acoustics are good stuff though John thats why you have to pay throught the nose for them! Halfords sell cheaper ones which to me are below average for what you pay i bought two 12" boxes at £50 each 6-8months ago and i think the bass from the subs has split the top from the left hand side of the box!

If your looking to sell it maybe you should work out how much all the materials would cost to build another one (exact same) say it would cost £45 for all the materials times that by 1.5 then you get a rough retail (thats how small shops work out RRP) then figure it out from there if you think that would sell at that price! plus you make a cut on it instead of saying well materials cost me £45 i'll do it for £55 and then you only see a £10! You never know you might find out whoever buys it has a mate that wants one therefore you cant keep selling them for only £10 profit
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: Custom Sub-Box...

Ok, here's a couple of pictures of it, work in progress style...

...like I said, its not yet finished, & i've done more since I took those pics, but have now had a total change of plan

It's cost me around £60; thats for the MDF, fibreglass, filler, stopper & sandpaper.. its yet to be sprayed.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    More pics can be seen here:

http://stubs.fotopic.net/c211579.html

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like you've had some fun there mate should look good when its done, bit different to the normall wedge box.

Bet that took some sanding, the filler must have been quite uneven once spread on the fibreglass. How think is that coating? is it think enough not to flex?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, dead rite I had some fun!
    It's only a rough effort... Didn't put any sort of design into it - just kinda did it as I went along.
    There's quite a few layers of fibreglass matting ontop of the fabric, and a full tiub of the bridging filler (ready mixed fibreglass) on the inside..
    It holds the pressure really well & sounds a bit better than the wooden box it was in before.
    Like I said, no effort was made to get the dimentions right etc.. it was simply done to gain a little experience with the fibreglass etc & have a bit of fun also.
    I've learnt many things from doing this - one of which would be to use thicker fabric for the initial shape.

Can't wait to start the full build!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One thing worth trying mate, is a 50-50 mix of p38 and p40 for your inside layer, we used to use that for installs a while back

Its really easy to work with in that state as you get the fibre glass mix softening the filler.

Its also very strong, and quite dead as well. Its a bitch to sand so don't use it on the outside