Thread: Courtenay FMIC - Installation & Results

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Courtenay FMIC - Installation & Results

Well as most of you know, I fitted the first of Courtenays new Front Mounted Intercooler to my Zafira the day before PV2004. Now I have covered 800 miles with it, including going to Devon and back, heres my report.

1) The Kit - Contained the following
    1. The Intercooler
    2. The IC to Boost Pipe Alluminuim Transfer Pipe
    3. Various Silicon Hose and clips, brackets and bolts.

2) Installation

This was alot easier than I thought, once stripped down (Bumper, cross member and old IC removed) it looked like this :-

On the top of the FMIC there are two captive bolts for you to bolt the bracket to, of the two L shaped brackets, simply drill a hole in each and bolt them to the FMIC. Once this is done, re-fit the cross member and offer up the FMIC.

You can then see where the two brackets which are bolted to the FMIC will line up with the cross member. Two solutions are possible here, either drill two more holes through the cross member and simple bolt in place, or you can weld the brackets to the cross member, the choice is yours.

Once this is done, I offered up my bumper to check for clearance, fortunatly on the Zafira the bumper did not have to be touched, I also think the GSi bumber and SRiT bumper may have enough clearence. The Coupe 'may' need a little internal trimming, but nothing too harsh. You of course will not see this from the outside.

The other alluminium transfer pipe has a bracket witha small hole in it, this simply bolts to the left hand side (Looking at the front of the car) where the O/E IC was fitted. The air flow sensor and boost pipe simply fit where they did on the original IC.

The section of blue silicon hose supplied simply connects the two together using Jubilee clips.

Using the 90o Silicon elbow, fit this to the inlet side of the FMIC so it goes round the radiator assembly, using the existing turbo hose that comes out the bottom of the turbo, line the two up and cut the original hose, and using the ally connecting tube, connet these together.

The finished result (Less the Inlet hose connected) :-

The Results..........

Well the initial start up was promising, the exhaust note was imediatley deeper and nice. Out on the road the difference was noticed straight away, the car pulls harder without as much effort and the original Mantzel Flat Spot is much much reduced than before.

The general running of the car is smoother, as said before the pick up is better. At higher revs, the turbo appears to hold the boost a little better as well, maybe this is because of the reduced inlet temp.

So with the new software going in in August, things look good. After driving to Devon at a steady 70mph, the car returned an average of 38mpg which was better than before.

but the best was the average mpg, it used to be around the 24mpg mark, but around the hills of Devon we covered 110 miles in urban type driving and the mpg did not drop below 28mpg.

So I personally thing this has been a very well chosen mod, alot easier to fit than I thought and well worth the money.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thats great Matt thanks for posting it up....can I use it else where on the site please?

Also any news on the coupe fitment, SRI turbo, and GSI fitment?
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Mat, use it where ever you feel you need it, I beleive the GSi and SRiT bumpers may not need modifying, but the Coupe may need a little trimming on the inside.

Jon at Courtenay is hoping to have one fitted to a COupe soon.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Let us know Matt how Jon gets on with that fitting to a Coupe, I really do like that Intercoller. How much is it to buy+ fitting and can i just have the intercoller fitted? Or should i have a remap as well?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and would it fit my car?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan
    Let us know Matt how Jon gets on with that fitting to a Coupe, I really do like that Intercoller. How much is it to buy+ fitting and can i just have the intercoller fitted? Or should i have a remap as well?
    Courtenay are hoping to sell the FMIC for £599, but they are still working on it so don't take this as gospel.

You can just buy the FMIC, or get them to fit it.

Personally I would save up and have the re-map and the FMIC done together. You will get much beter results that way.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Apart from the lip spoiler, the 888 bumper is identical to the normal Coupe bumper so I would say there would not be a problem.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think i might do that, Do you know yet how much their new remaps are gonna cost around? THese new ones ? that feature in another thread on this site?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice one matt... well impressed mate.
    Corsa C LEH 4x4?

Status
    Sir Peter Pan
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool mate
    My Project Auto-Biography Thread: Skin of an Astra - Heart of a Monaro - Click here to read more!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast