Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

EGR Help Please

Hello peeps,

Like lots of others I have had problems with my revs dropping to around 500rpm and even stalling the car. Normally cleaning my TB sort's this problem out for a few thousand miles but this time it hasn't made a lot of difference and my TB was quite clean. I haven't had the car stall out or anything but occasionally when the engine is cold (i.e. first thing in the morning), the revs dive to around 500rpm then recover back to normal idle. I just wondered if this might be signs that the EGR is going. If it is any rough costs and advise on fitting for a relative novice would be great.

Ta

Car: 1999(T) Astra Sport 1.8i 16v (X18XE1)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: EGR Help Please

The EGR is the most common fault on the Astra's... had exactly the same problem with mine last year.

They are relatively easy to fit, but removal of the inlet manifold (top part) and some other bits are required, its abit awkward to get to... unless you have small hands and patients like i did that day... took me just over an hour to do.

Vauxhall charge £160 for an EGR... i can get them for £120 (brand spanking new) and there labour time to do it is nearly 2 hours, so will be costly.

Status
    Princess Oompa loompa!
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My old man has this same problem on his Vectra 1.8 SRi. Now I don't know the engine layout of the astra, but on the vectra the EGR valve is to the right of the engine and easy to access, so all we did was whip the EGR valve off, fabricate a new gasket out of a empty can of fosters but his new gasket blanks off the port that lets the exhaust gasses return, thus solving the problem until my old man can be bothered to part with over a ton for a new valve.

N.B. you may have to do this once every 3 months if you use a drinks can as we discovered that the pressure caused the ally to rip after a while. Which caused the problem to return, if you have a thin sheet of steel, make the gasket from that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re: EGR Help Please

The veccys are very easy to get to... 15 min, bolt on and off job... bolt the the veccy and astra ones are different.

You could do what DarrylB said... does work a treat, the other thing you could do is take it off and give it a good clean it up with DW40... sometimes that also works and will save you some ££'s.

I used to work for Vx as a technician, just in case you not so sure... what a women is telling you

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: re: EGR Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by kirsty
    I used to work for Vx as a technician, just in case you not so sure... what a women is telling you

Have seen you post on here before so I know that you know what you are doing.

Thanks for the replys, I will have a look. Anyone got any Haynes sytle pictures

Ta

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    egr gasket 14p from vauxhall i think also it could be the tb blocked with carbon just spray with carb cleaner

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18
    could be the tb blocked with carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by sport16v
    Normally cleaning my TB sort's this problem out for a few thousand miles but this time it hasn't made a lot of difference and my TB was quite clean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    egr is very easy to do about 15 mins tops just get the gasket from parts you need to use a new one when you put it back on the car there was a re call with egr's i had my one done for free by my loco vx dealer when my car was out of warranty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18
    egr is very easy to do about 15 mins tops just get the gasket from parts you need to use a new one when you put it back on the car there was a re call with egr's i had my one done for free by my loco vx dealer when my car was out of warranty
    Have you got a recall ref number?

How old is your car? (Mine is a 1999)

Is yours an X18XE1 also?

Ta

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    my car is also a 1999 1.8 x18xe1 as well
    sorry i dont have a recall ref number

call vauxhall head office on monday they will sort it for you
    i had my rear calipers done as well when the car was out of warranty they put a new set of pad's and disk's on at the same time for free
    there was a recall on the early cars with the egr's i was told my vauxhall c/s they told me to see my dealer they sorted it out for me

also they said the tb car carbon build up on that cause the rev's to drop when you come up to stop at the lights just keep the brass tb butter fly clean ie no carbon build up a very easy job takes 2 mins to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast