Thread: Changing brake pads and discs... Help req'd

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Changing brake pads and discs... Help req'd

Hi all. I've got the nice task this weekend of fitting new pads and discs on the front to cure a nasty case of wheel wobble which i've attributed to warped discs. I'm not wanting to sound like i'm blowing my own trumpet here or being big headed but i'm a pretty competant DIYer when it comes to servicing and I was just wondering if anyone could give me a brief break down of the process of changing the front pads and discs?

I'm pretty sure the callipers will be secured to the carrier by means of two bolts which once removed will give me full access to the pads and removing the carrier will allow me to remove the discs from the outer hub but I just want to confirm this is correct as some cars have weird ways of holding the callipers and discs in place... Like the Rover 600 which require the wheel bearing to be pressed out before you can change the discs!!

I've had a quick look in the "How To" section but have turned up nothing but as this is the first time i've had to touch a Vauxhall I thought I'd ask the question rather than **** the ABS up.

Thanks in advance

Mick

PS: I've got a 2000 SXi 5 door with ABS just in case that matters :?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll put some help up very soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All you need to do to change the pads AND discs at the same time is to undo the two bolts holding the caliper carrier to the hub. waggle the caliper to push the piston back in a bit and move it off the disc.

The Astra disc is held on by one screw, which is tight, so you may need an impactor or impact driver to release it. Then just replace the new disc and refit the caliper.

About an hours work

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, easy, this might help Clickety Click

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Steve... I didn't think it would have a stupid Honda design where the Wheel bearing would need to be pressed out to allow access to the discs but I just wanted to check before getting it to bits and them making the famous old "Oh **** it" noise that i'm famous for

That's only one job this weekend. Throttle body is being stripped and cleaned and Koni sports kit is going on so things are slowly moving forwards for my Astra now.

Thanks again for the info mate

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    7mm allen key to remove the caliper and 10mm allen key to remove the carrier.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forget the copper grease!!!!
    To walk between the lines , would make my life so boring!!!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You're best clamping the pipes and taking off the calipers to push back th pistons as the seals are weak..... remembering to open the bleed valve. Just done my fronts. and done my back disc before.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A few tips.
    1Undo your brake fluid resevior cap and push pistons in SLOWLY. Watch for any fluid spilling onto your paint as it will strip it or discolour it.
    2Before you put your new discs on be sure to get the mating surface of the hub as clean and shiny as possible, This is so the new disc sits true and not cause brake judder/disc warp.
    3 ummmm have a bottle of water ready incase of brake fluid spillage
    oh yeah DONT put your legs under the car when working.

Edit clean up your piston surface before pushing them back int the seals.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J3NVX
    You're best clamping the pipes and taking off the calipers to push back th pistons as the seals are weak..... remembering to open the bleed valve. Just done my fronts. and done my back disc before.
    I hear you but as the car has ABS and I don't know the correct bleeding order i'm not gonna remove any pipes. I'll remove the resevoir cap to help relieve some pressure and then gently apply the jimmy bar. Thanks for all the advice though peeps. I've got all the copper grease in the world on standby and the wire brush is ready to give the calliper seats a darn good thrashing

These calliper and carrier retaining hex bolts... are they best to be locktighted back in or will old fashion torque alone hold them SECURELY in place?